Madmax is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

dcount and isnull

Still learning a lot about expressions. Can someone tell me why this doesn't work

=Dcount([field name],[table name],isnull(n))

Basically I want to count how many records that have info in this field. The form and text box is both unbound and I set this as source. I am sure I am not using isnull correctly. What is the correct setup for isnull expression.

Rod is offline Expert
    Two mistakes that I can see:

1. You must enclose the names in quotes. E.g. "[field name]"
    2. The third optional parameter is not required. Here is the MS explanation where expr is "[field name]" in your situation.

The DCount function doesn't count records that contain Null values in the field referenced by expr unless expr is the asterisk (*) wildcard character. If you use an asterisk, the DCount function calculates the total number of records, including those that contain Null fields.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It would be:

=Dcount("[field name]","[table name]","[SomeOtherFieldName] Is Null")

or if you wanted to count that [field name] where it was null then simply:

=Dcount("*","[table name]","[field name] Is Null")

More DCount Problems-

Thanks for the first DCount answer it worked but I am still having problems with this sheet and Dcount. Currently I have a field for security clearances needed that is a yes/No field. I have three test records in their one with a yes and two with a no. Below is the different ways I tried and the results. What am I missing please?

=Dcount("[Security Clearance Needed]","[Personnel Information]","yes") equaled 3

=Dcount("[Security Clearance Needed]","[Personnel Information]","True") equaled 3

=Dcount("[Security Clearance Needed]","[Personnel Information]","False") equaled 0

=Dcount("[Security Clearance Needed]","[Personnel Information]","1") Equaled 3

=Dcount("[Security Clearance Needed]","[Personnel Information]","0") Equaled 0

lol so what the ? Good news is this is the last DCount needed I think

You need to examine the DCount that I gave you. You are nowhere near the syntax required with your examples you have tried.

See that we used the "*" for the first part, the table name and then the CRITERIA (which includes the field name and what it would be valued).

yes and that applied to nulls, Which worked great but when it doesnt apply to nulls instead it applies to yes/no column is where I had the problem. Basically, the one that was for null worked great. Now this is a new version.
    In your Formula, What is the * representing? the way I read it it is showing all the records that are is null. Should I be doing something like this instead?

=DCount("*","[Table Name]","[Field Name] =yes")

and if so, What is the * telling the DCount command so I know in the future. I am not only trying to write this particular database but learn completely on the parts of the formula for future reference.

I just realized my mistake. in my book of notes I had it wrote down as DCount(field,Domain,Criterion) when it read DCount(Expression, Domain, Criterion) I fully understand my screw up on the expression sorry about miss matching that.

By the way, the "*" is making it so we can count the number of records in the source table or query without having null values in a particular field affecting the count.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.