Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    clean32 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    this is my Maintenance planing DB, have a look it is close ish to what you need

area - item type - item

rather than assembly i have a maintenance seclude

well any one can have a look, feed back is always appreciated

ndtownsend is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    wrong thread....I'm getting the hang of forums ....still
    Last edited by ndtownsend; 06-23-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: wrong thread....I'm getting the hang of forums ....still

Kevo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I have attached a picture of the table diagram I have been working on. I have not included relationships yet but would like your opinion if you have time to breeze it over.

The "Load List" & "Load" is obviously my biggest struggle. Not knowing how far I should break these down, ie - make more tables.

Brief catch-up synopsis:

Hospital Surgery department that assembles and sterilizes instruments for surgery as well as other depts in hosp.

Here are my needs:
    1. inventory of instruments
      1. hundreds of different instruments in different categories (clamps, scissors, forceps, etc...)
      2. Some belong to one dept , some belong to others
      3. instruments DO Not need to be tracked individually! ie - I want to know how many scissors- curved scissors we have but no need to have each individual one numbered
    2. Sets (or assemblies) of instruments
      1. sets are made up of various qtys of instr above
      2. once again sets belong to diff departments
      3. need to be able to prnt out "assembly sheet" of sets
    3. Load List
      1. This is a list of each individual "load" we sterilize and must include:
        1. date
        2. autoclave(sterilizer)
        3. Load Number (we could run several loads per day in each autoclave)
        4. instruments and sets in each load
    4. Load Results
      1. This is a record of the Sterilization Process
        1. Load List (from above - what is in this load)
        2. DateIN
        3. Time IN
        4. Operator that put in
        5. Date Out
        6. Time Out
        7. Operator taking out
        8. Result of sterilization test (vial that is placed with load and incubated to ensure sterilization parameters was met)
    After I work on my tables....then the real fun begins....setting up the interface....

I want a screen that has a button to enter:

• Load List
    • Load Results (btw - only need to do the "Load Results" part for the first load of the day in each autoclave.) So there could be several Load Lists but only 2 Load Results.
    • See or Print "Sets Assembly Sheet"
    • See or Print "Inventory by Department" (what kind and how many instruments and sets each dept has
    Any suggestions or opinions about my table diagram would be appreciated.

Thank You,
    Kevin

Windows XP Access 2003
    i am having a problem understanding your process, it may be simple to you but exsplaning it can be dificult to some one who is not involved in your environment.

it may be better if you step us though the actions.

starting with making up assembly
    date operator - department - assembly name- items

so that's the going out bit

loading up the cleaning machine

date - operator- from dep - item ( is there a need for assbly or are the items all mixed up)

unloading the Machine

temp- time- some bug test thing?-

there will also be a stock on hand, ie items that have been cleaned sitting in a draw some where

clean 32,

OK, I will try to explain our process a little better. I understand how hard it is to read a post and learn a process. I just appreciate you trying!

What I am really trying to do is convert the things we are already doing to electronic record keeping.

-Instruments (similar to another type of company has "products")
    -Instruments have categories (Clamps, Scissors, Forceps,etc...)
    -Departments (let's say we have 100 scissors in the hospital - 25 belong to the ER, 25 Belong to Surgery, 25 belong to X Ray, etc...)
    -Sets (similar to assemblies of products)
    -We assemble "Sets" of instruments (For example - Major Set may contain 8 Curved Clamps, 2 Straight Scissors, 4 Forceps, etc...)
    -Once again there are different sets that belong to different depts
    All of the above is pretty straight forward I think (very similar to parts and assemblies in a manufacturing environment) We do not currently have any type of inventory, so we have no idea exactly how many instruments we have. That is one reason for creating the database, the other reason is to do the following:

The other thing I want to convert to electronic bookkeeping (Access) is our "sterilization log" - this is a little more complicated for me.

We currently have 2 logs.
    -1st log is called "Load List"

After we decontaminate(wash) used instruments/sets, we assemble, re-wrap and sterilize them in a sterilizer called an autoclave.
    The "Load List" is currently just a notebook that we hand write-
    Date of Load, Autoclave Number (we have 2), Load Number (we can run several per day in each autoclave, and an actual list of each instrument and set we are sterilizing in the load.

We have some instruments that are packaged alone and then our sets. Look at the attached "Load List" it is very simple.
    -2nd log is a "sterilization log" that I have named "Load" in my diagram (maybe I should name it more specifically - like Biological Load"

Let me explain that we "run" several loads per day in each autoclave, but we only have to verify the process by running a biological indicator (BI) in the first load of the day in each autoclave. So, every load will be captured on the "load list" but every load will not be referenced in the Load table (which I should rename Biological Load)

I am also attaching a copy of our current Biological Load Log.

I know this is very complicated and I hope to get some of this done myself and then will just have to ask specific question like help figuring out a query or form.
    Thanks for taking time to help. I know we are all busy and I appreciate your valuable time.

Kevin

Windows XP Access 2003
    ok lets start at the begining.

give me a sample list of

Trays (auto cave?) departments item types and then items

IE for Scissors give me 3-4 different types, or 3-4 of each different trays departments

and ill have a think about it. it is actually quite easy but its just hard to understand your would

Please note that on the Steam Sterilizer Record Keeping Log you will see near the right the date, time and initials for the in and the out. This is actually not the load going in but the Biological Vial going in to the incubator.

Here is my ultimate goal:
    (Sorry about the crude drawings)

I have included my idea for a Load Record Form.

Windows XP Access 2003
    i think thats what you want as a report?

i assume that you load the machine, and then some time latter you unload the machine. so would it not be better to have TWO data entry points than trying to cram it all into one. assuming that the DB may be used for other things or the computer is used for other things in the mean time.

what is your procedures for record keeping, it will be in a controlled doc some where, is it a hard copy? then we need to have the printed report the same layout as that, but that comes last ( report)

Windows XP Access 2003
    from OR major set -- is a tray or set of items

is hemo?? clamps a set or individual clamps?

so are we working in sets or items or a mix?

actually that was what I was thinking for the form, but it would require the form to be "open" until the out was recorded or could the form be recalled?

As for the report, I would like to print it out for awhile, until the system was proven but eventually no need for killing all those trees!

Major is a set

Hemostats are a clamp

Yes, we have individually packaged instruments - "Hemostats" as well as Sets - "Major"

And to make matters worse, the Major set has 8 of those hemostats inside it!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    actually that was what I was thinking for the form, but it would require the form to be "open" until the out was recorded or could the form be recalled?

As for the report, I would like to print it out for awhile, until the system was proven but eventually no need for killing all those trees!

the uncompleted form can be recalled but that is much harder way to do things.

Windows XP Access 2003
    ok forget about the incubator for now

firstly you need some way of getting in items sets into the DB

so i would make up forms for employees or all your list forms, category, items departments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.