Budro49 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Help fix SQL Statement for query

I am new to this forum so Hello everyone. I have a database that does not output like I want it to look. The IIf statement needs your help. I basically have two problems.

1) The model series field is a 3 character field. Two characters can be used but it must have a space as the 3rd character. If you look at the output of the query the IIf statement allows it to not only pick up the 3 digit control codes but it takes any first two characters of a 3 character code that is used with a space. Example The ALP code is good but it also picked the AL code out of the ALP and should not have unless it was shown as AL with a space.

2) I show in the table how the query is showing multiple rows for each code. Below I show how I want it to look. One row for each part number along with all the codes and description on the one row in a single string.

I hope you can help. Thanks Richard

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why is the query a make-table?

1. Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)

2. Check this thread http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ne-447601.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for you reply! I am not very good at using Access when it comes to SQL statements. I used the make table so I could show how the query was outputting now and below show how I need it to output. Here is my SQL query statement and I can't get it right on adding your fix for item #1 into statement. Your fix was: Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)

SELECT Industrial_Items_DB.PART_NUMBER, Industrial_Items_DB.DESCRIPTION, Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES, CONTROL_CODES.CODE_DESC, Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE, IIf(InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE]),[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE],InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE])) AS MODEL_SERIES_3CHAR INTO [Sample DU Database]
    FROM Industrial_Items_DB, CONTROL_CODES
    WHERE (((Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES) Like "*DU*") AND ((Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE)="H03") AND ((IIf(InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE]),[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE],InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE])))<>"0"))
    ORDER BY Industrial_Items_DB.PART_NUMBER;

Thanks, Richard

June7 is offline VIP
    Try:
    SELECT Industrial_Items_DB.PART_NUMBER, Industrial_Items_DB.DESCRIPTION, Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES, CONTROL_CODES.CODE_DESC, Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE, IIf(InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)),[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE],"NONE") AS MODEL_SERIES_3CHAR
    WHERE (((Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES) Like "*DU*") AND ((Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE)="H03") AND ((InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)))>0))
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank! that fixed my problem 1 except why does it recognize the DU Code. If that code showed up on each part number the problem one would be solved. Thanks again for you help next I will look at the part 2 of my problem. Richard

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Try:
    SELECT Industrial_Items_DB.PART_NUMBER, Industrial_Items_DB.DESCRIPTION, Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES, CONTROL_CODES.CODE_DESC, Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE, IIf(InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)),[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE],"NONE") AS MODEL_SERIES_3CHAR
    WHERE (((Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES) Like "*DU*") AND ((Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE)="H03") AND ((InStr(1,[INDUSTRIAL_ITEMS_DB].[MODEL_SERIES],Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)))>0))

June7 is offline VIP
    The DU code is recognized because of the Like operator and wildcards in the MODEL_SERIES criteria. You had this in the query. Why did you use it if you do not understand how it works?

Windows XP Access 2003
    The DU code is recognized because of the Like operator and wildcards in the MODEL_SERIES criteria. You had this in the query. Why did you use it if you do not understand how it works?

I understand why it is in the statement. I don't understand why it didn't come out with the rest of the coded parts as output. It should be as a row for each of the two part numbers. It was before and now it is not.

June7 is offline VIP
    Because the DU in the Model_Series is not 3 characters. Per your criteria "Example The ALP code is good but it also picked the AL code out of the ALP and should not have unless it was shown as AL with a space." The DU at the end of the Model_Series value does not have a space to match the "DU " 3 character string. Use Left([Model_Series] & " ", Len([Model_Series] & " ")) in the IIF expressions.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Because the DU in the Model_Series is not 3 characters. Per your criteria "Example The ALP code is good but it also picked the AL code out of the ALP and should not have unless it was shown as AL with a space." The DU at the end of the Model_Series value does not have a space to match the "DU " 3 character string. Use Left([Model_Series] & " ", Len([Model_Series] & " ")) in the IIF expressions.

Got it, you solved my part 1 of my post. Thank you very much. Hopefully the leads I was given for part 2 will work and I am golden. Will close post with solved as soon as I can see if the leads pan out.

Windows XP Access 2003

Thought this fixed it but it didn't. I tried adding the string above but it didn't seem to work. Please take sql above and add string to be sure I am doing it like you are saying.

The model series AK DU is killing me. If any two character code is on the end it is left off. I want to keep it from doing as before with the ALP and AL but I need it to recognize a two character when it is the last code of string. Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Does this work for you:
    SELECT Industrial_Items_DB.PART_NUMBER, Industrial_Items_DB.DESCRIPTION, Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES, CONTROL_CODES.CODE_DESC, Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE, IIf(InStr(1,Left([Model_Series] & " ", Len([Model_Series] & " ")),Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)),[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE],"NONE") AS MODEL_SERIES_3CHAR
    WHERE (((Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES) Like "*DU*") AND ((Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE)="H03") AND ((InStr(1,Left([Model_Series] & " ", Len([Model_Series] & " ")),Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)))>0))

Windows XP Access 2003
    Does this work for you:
    SELECT Industrial_Items_DB.PART_NUMBER, Industrial_Items_DB.DESCRIPTION, Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES, CONTROL_CODES.CODE_DESC, Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE, IIf(InStr(1,Left([Model_Series] & " ", Len([Model_Series] & " ")),Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)),[CONTROL_CODES].[CODE],"NONE") AS MODEL_SERIES_3CHAR
    WHERE (((Industrial_Items_DB.MODEL_SERIES) Like "*DU*") AND ((Industrial_Items_DB.ORGANIZATION_CODE)="H03") AND ((InStr(1,Left([Model_Series] & " ", Len([Model_Series] & " ")),Left([CONTROL_CODES].[CODE] & " ",3)))>0))

Perfect! Thank you so much. Now if I can get this to concatenate I am all set.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Part 1 of this thread is solved but part 2 is still open. I need concatenation help. Do I need to start a new thread??

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.