clean32 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Dates and all that horrible stuff

i have had a lot of problems with dates myself in the past.

i need to make up a schedule with a start date + 1 day or + 1 week or + 3 months etc as options.

the object is to have a task, a start date and a duration, like monthly as an option in a combo box. and have all this recurring.

i was thinking start date + duration, then sticking that value in another field. one the task has been done or ticked as done. then the start date is over written by the done date. and the due feild is now calculated as start date + duration.

i can do all that in a form at the time of entry of marking off the task as being done.

But i may be barking up the wrong tree. 1 it gives no allowance to print out 12 months worth of tasks and assess work loads
    2 its all rather messy, doing it in a form, some one clicks the wrong box etc etc

any ideas would be great

Rixxe is offline Blessed Bear
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Would it not be a good idea to log the dates after the duration, and at which point you can then do a 12 month overview? (if i understand correctly)

So say if the startdate is 01/01/2002 + 1 month duration, You add an eventdate = 01/02/2002 and log that, the next query can be run on that eventdate (01/02/2002) and when you get a way down the line, calculate the Difference between StartDate + Eventdate and print those reports.

I might have got it totally wrong and just not have understood what you meant.
    Hope this helps!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixxe View Post
    Would it not be a good idea to log the dates after the duration, and at which point you can then do a 12 month overview? (if i understand correctly)

So say if the startdate is 01/01/2002 + 1 month duration, You add an eventdate = 01/02/2002 and log that, the next query can be run on that eventdate (01/02/2002) and when you get a way down the line, calculate the Difference between StartDate + Eventdate and print those reports.

I might have got it totally wrong and just not have understood what you meant.
    Hope this helps!
    i think we are thinking the same.

if i have multiple tasks, some daily or weekly monthly etc each task has a time allocation in mints.

so i need a report that will list the tasks for today/ this week etc

i also need to run a report for scheduled tasks time requirements for this month this year etc

so if i have a start date, then in an other table using date plus 1day/month /3months etc and list all the dates for the year each task falls on. then link it back to get the time allocation.

if that makes sense. or is there a better way to do it.

its for a bit of maintenance planing, asset register/ maintenance history thing. as i doint have any money and the company will not shell out for a copy of MEX

Windows XP Access 2003
    Bump again

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Sorry, Was away in a different country for a while...

How far have you managed to get? Have you done:

1. a report that will list the tasks for today/ this week etc
    2. a report for scheduled tasks time requirements for this month this year

The best way is trial and error, if you still want ideas, then thats fine. If you want to get someone to make it for you, i think it might be too large a task on someones time.

Good Luck.

Windows XP Access 2003
    sort of OK but i am not happy yet

i dropped out of procedures and back to macros. some thing i just couldnt get to work.

i have a form with info etc and a start date as well as a combo for period, Daily, Monthly, etc etc. and an ID auto number.

another table with a form, Date and the ID fields. this opens in a form.

the macros have conditions, daily, set value date() etc but i could only figger out how to do day and month so annual is month +12

then i open an other table though a form sets the first date, next record sets next date.

the other problem i have is sorting out how to stop the macro. is just running 400 times at the moment. ideally i would like Date + 356

then i attach the first table to the second table in a query and open a form on that. filtered with between "date" and " date" which comes from the first form.

this was a mistake as i have two fields on the report form, DONE "yes/no" and Minutes, but since its attached i cant enter in these fields.

so now i am back to thinking about it

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Might i suggest, as I find it really hard to imagine what you actually have. Is to attach your filtered down DB as a .zip file.

This gives other users an idea of what you have tried, and possibly solutions.

Also give what you need in SIMPLE points.
    like:

1) Link 2 tables, Create a Form that a user can input dates into to find records.
    2) Give option of records from the past 12 months
    etc etc

Makes it easier to read.

Cheers

Rixxe.

Windows XP Access 2003
    GGRRRRR

DB to big when zipped

so i wrote it out and got more then 50000 or some thing. Forum getting to hard

Windows XP Access 2003
    ok finally got that sorted

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.