VictoriaAlbert is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

Simple export for the Access novice

Hello -

I am managing a database used by people in the health care industry in different sites. The database contains two tables of personal information and another 20 tables of data that I need to gather for later analysis. Periodically, the sites send me the database, but the two tables of personal information of patients should (and legally cannot) be sent to me. One way for these sites to send me the data I need without the personal data I don't is to 1. create a new database, 2. import the relevant tables, and 3. send the new database to me. However, even these basic steps require some savvy with Access that many of the users of the database don't have. I am looking for ideas on an easy way to exclude some tables from a database before it gets emailed.

So, to recap, I need a simple way to export Access to Access with only a subset of tables. Or to encrypt some tables in a database before it gets transported.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

clean32 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    i would make another database, with an auto run macro to import what tables you need. this is the data base that they send to you.

so all that have to do is open the DB, then close it and send

VictoriaAlbert is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit
    I will definitely try this, thanks. Any suggestions on how to write the macro? I will write it in Access 2010 but it will need to work for previous versions of Access. Thanks again.

clean32 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    maybe some one has a better idea, as i am no expert. i am on this forum to get help myself.

but this is what i did before

make another DB. and import the tables that you want. then link to the same tables.

make append queries for each

then start the macro with the turn off ??? messages, ( this is so you doint get messages when over writing the old data)

make a form with a box in it, default value IMPORTING

the macro has a line to run each append queries

the last line is to change the box in the form to some thing like, Finished.

hope that makes sense

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    So, to recap, I need a simple way to export Access to Access with only a subset of tables. Or to encrypt some tables in a database before it gets transported.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
    The easiest way is to, in windows, create a copy of the database, open the copy, and delete the two tables (personal information) you don't want. Do a compact and repair. Done......

There might be a problem if the two tables (one or both) are the linking fields to the other tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.