allenrickson is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Select Data Source Won't Cancel!

Hello,

So I should note before stating my problem that I have been using Access for 2 days now and I don't know much about it at all.

I have a SQL 2008 database on a network drive. It's full of all kinds of tables, and stored procedures. Now I went over to ODBC and linked it in, so I can see all the tables. Then I proceeded to writing a few queries that return tables. Then I went over to report and dragged and dropped the query into the report. My hope was that the report would run that query and return the proper data. If I run the query alone, it works great, but once it's in the report I keep getting a "Select Data Source" window that pops up. I click the tab "Machine Data Source" select my data source name (type is system). Once I click "Ok", the same window immediately pops up again! No matter what I do, I keep getting the same pop up! What could I be doing wrong here?

Thanks,
    Allen

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    you need to purchase an Access textbook, easily found at Amazon or any big bookstore. Any textbook will review setting up a Report and its record source.

designing a database without a textbook is difficult

allenrickson is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Ok, I figured it out.

The solution was to make a query, then open the query in Design View. Go to the Query Properties and click on the "..." for the "ODBC Connect Str". There you can select the database once so it doesn't keep prompting and bugging you.

Then drag and drop the query into the report and where it says "Unbound" change it to "Query.nameofthequery"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.