hawkins is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

User Input/Updating Tables Help

I am brand new to access and am having some troubles with a project I am working on. I have a list of objects that have 5 descriptions ( or columns) that need to be answered about each object in what I believe needs to be a form. I want to be able to have a drop down menu that I can choose which object I want to record the descriptions about. I need to also be able to update the descriptions by using the object in the drop down menu as a row identifier. My main questions are is a form what I should be using to populate and update the data, how do I use a drop down menu to locate the row that I want to populate/update the data, and how do I update in a form.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I think your first task, if you want advice and help from the group, is to tell us in your own words what you are trying to do. Not in terms of dropdowns and forms but in business terms.

What is the subject matter? How do the subjects relate? What are the processes involved?

eg, We make cars. We get parts from our suppliers. We have a manufacturing facility.... whatever. At this point we can see you are "over your head" and focused on forms and dropdowns. Time to step back and tell us what you're up to as if you met us on the street and had 2 minutes to describe your situation, pose a question that others can understand.

If you are determined to focus on the nitty-gritty without the basics, then you might want to browse thru the free video tutorials at http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm

Pick any of them and watch it.

hawkins is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thank you for replying so quickly! I have definitely realized I have tried to take on the project as a whole and need to start smaller. The project is to create a feeder status report for a utilities company. A feeder can be thought as a distribution line. The report is supposed to be filled with static information, that will change every 10 years or never in some cases, and yearly information that will be reported on a yearly bases. This data will hopefully be presented in a similar format to an excel template I have made. The data is either related by name if it is static or by name and year if it is yearly data. I figured there could be 2 forms and/or tables that someone could enter information into, one for the static and another for the yearly data. My boss wants to be able to choose from the feeders when the data is entered to ensure the right name. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You may wish to read some of the following information.

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic238.html

The topics on Normalization and normal forms is key to table structure. The entity relationship diagramming identifies how tables/entities relate. The Hernandez Process is a guide/procedure for identifying the "things" in your business, and relating them accordingly.

The entity relationship diagram/data model should assist communication between developers and business people. There are a number of free data models at
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm I don't now that any one may apply to your situation, but you might glean some insight on what your ER diagram would look like.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.