kman42 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

one table per data type?

I have some company data that is collected on several different types of reports, Annual Report, Final Report, etc. These reports have different formats and collect different, but overlapping, information. For example, the number of employees and the company's revenue are collected on the annual and final reports, but number of patents is on the final report and other reports, but not on the annual report.

I want to be able to do some calculations on the number of employees, revenues, and patents over time so I thought that I would make them their own separate tables and have them related to the report table and the company.

tbl_Reports
    pk_ReportID
    fk_CompanyID
    ReportType
    DateOfReport

tbl_NumberOfEmployees
    pk_NumberOfEmployeesID
    fk_ReportID
    fk_CompanyID
    NumberOfEmployees

tbl_Revenue
    pk_RevenueID
    fk_ReportID
    fk_CompanyID
    Revenue

tbl_NumberOfPatents

pk_NumberOfPatentsID
    fk_ReportID
    fk_CompanyID
    NumberOfPatents

There are actually 6 different report types and more than 30 types of data that are mixed and matched on the different reports. I want to be able to look at each of these pieces of data over time for a company, e.g. how the number of employees changes over time. It seemed that this was a reasonable approach, but now that I am creating a bunch of tables for each data type, I'm not so sure.

When I create a new record on the Final Report form, I need it to create records in tbl_Reports, tbl_NumberOfEmployees, tbl_Revenues, and tbl_NumberOfPatents. I think this is done with a one-to-one relationship where pk_ReportID and fk_ReportID would both be primary key fields. But I know one-to-one relationships are rare, so I'm not sure if I am going about this the right way.

Any advice?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    So you are not creating these financial reports but mining the summary data and putting that into a database. You could put all this in one table but then would have a lot of empty fields. Though not fully normalized that might not be all bad, especially for a very small db. It can simplify data entry. If you want the db technically normalized, I think you are on right track. The one-to-one relationship is appropriate because the different reports will not all have the same data. A query that joins all the tables will give the effect of one table with lots of empty cells.

I don't see need to duplicate the CompanyID in every table. This info is available by link to tbl_Reports.

So you must balance technicality of design with ease of data entry and manipulation and decide which way to go.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.