nchesebro is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Query to relate Programs in Degree Classification

I asked about this issue in this thread, but decided to move this part of the discussion here where it would be more appropriate.

What I am doing is creating an Admissions Campus Tour database. In it, there will be a section to take reservations, and part of that process is collecting data about what degree the student will be interested in. The basics of the form will look like the following:

Degree Type Program
    [----Select----|^] [----Select----|^] (Remove)

To start, I would like to have this part set up so that when the degree type is selected (one of six types, Masters, Bachelors, Associates, so on...), only the programs offered of that type are available from the dropdown box under Program.

To make things even fancier, although not required, it would be nice to have this working both ways - depending on what program is selected from the program drop down, only the type of degree in which that program is offered would be available from the degree type drop down.

The reason I am interested in the two-way functionality is that it seems like you can make every effort to design a nice, flowing form to accompany a phone call, but there is always SOMEONE out there that will leave people saying "okay, hold on while I try to enter that into our system real quick...". So this is just a safeguard against wasted time, but NOT required if it would be overly daunting...

Rod is offline Expert
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    This should have been answered days ago, shame on us!

Everything you ask for is feasible, in fact it's a common requirement and one that is often asked.

Because your post is so old I'm not going to tell you more as I suspect you may have solved your problem by now. If not I'm more than willing to help so repost on this thread and I will answer you (unless my m/c dies - I've had a few Blue Screens of Death recently).

BTW What's a 'so on' degree? Sounds oriental. Is it hard to get?

khalid is offline MS-Access Developer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    This could be achieved if your tables are structured properly to have the one to many relationships normalization Where table [Degree Type] pk will be connected to table programs foreign key fk.

Degree Type (PK)
    ID:
    =======
    Programs (FK)
    ID
    -------------

you can have then select the degree type id from your [degree type] table and then can select the programs based on the selected degree. (filtration of ids fk and pk in combo or list box)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.