Jared Tyler is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Split database becomes slow after background data update

Hi all,

I have created a database used by a group of 10 or so people, split with the data stored in several databases (I had to deal with what was already in place) on the server and a front end on the user's individual PC. The database works very well with no speed issues at all until the data on one of the linked tables is updated by another user, or by directly editing the table (ie, not using the front-end's form). After this ocurrs, the front end performance becomes very slow.

I initially had problems with slow performance for all the "usual" reasons; now I have a subform keeping the link to the backend "alive," so I don't think that's the problem.

One perculiarity with the system is that some users are using the back-end while others are directly accessing the dource database, which still has forms in it (I would change this if I could). Could this be causing the problem?

Edit1: we're using access 2003 and windows XP pro. I don't know anything meaningful about the server, unfortunately my technical knowledge of this sort of thing is rather limited.

Short version: My split database works fine until the back end data is updated, after which it's quite slow.

I'd greatly appreciate any help, and will happily provide any further information that may be needed.

Kind regards,

-Jared
    Last edited by Jared Tyler; 05-29-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: more details added

blue4512 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Does each user have thier own FE copy of the database? Make sure they are not each opening the same FE file.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hmm, good point. I'll need to check that one.

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK, so people are most definitely using the backend. Unfortunately, I am not able to make people use my front-end exclusively, due to... well... political reasons.

Does this cause some kind of issue with the .LDB file?

blue4512 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    A benefit of splitting the database is improving the performance, each user should have their own FE copy on their computer to minimize traffic. I made the same mistake with our database, with just a couple users the performance is way too slow. It causes an issue with the retrieval of information from the BE. Can you resolve politics by linking all tables?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.