dutrac6835 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Complex Search Criteria

Hi,

In Access 2010 I have two tables and I want to use the criteria from one table to search another table column. Let me give you an example...

Search Criteria
    AR-15
    AR-15A

Table to Search Within
    Bla Bla Bla ar15
    Bla Bla Bla ar 15
    AR-15A Bla Bla Bla

Results need to look like this...
    AR-15 Bla Bla Bla ar15
    AR-15 Bla Bla Bla ar 15
    AR-15A AR-15A Bla Bla Bla

Here is the existing search string as I have it. Like "*" & [Table to Search within]![Model] & "*"

The problem is that I cannot predict the string in "Table to Search Within." Search results do not return valid results because they are not always printed in the correct format. Only exactly "AR-15" will result in a hit. I want to break down the search so that it basically searches for AR-15 like this...

Select from "Table to Search Within" like "AR" and then "15"

In other words I want it to treat the "-" as a space and search the exact order. A record with data that says...
    15AR would not be a hit
    15-AR would not be a hit
    15A-R would not be a hit
    AR-215 would not be a hit

AR-15 would be
    AR 15 would be

Any help would be appreciated.

June7 is online now VIP
    So possible combinations are AR-15, AR15, AR 15? (capital case doesn't matter)

Presuming Bla Bla Bla are fields, then AR-15 could be found in any field? Or is this one string
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Case doesn't matter.

Now that I re-read my post I understand what you are asking. The results would be in 2 columns. 1 would echo the search criteria before manipulation and the other would be the record where it found it.

June7 is online now VIP
    No, that's not what my question was going for. Your sample source data appears to shows the searched for string in two fields.

Are you confirming that the 3 forms of data possible? I should have been clearer with my question. I was make point that Access doesn't care about case, even though your sample shows both.

Unfortunately, I am stumped by your desired output. You show two search criteria (AR-15, AR-15A) and want to display these in field of the output. How is it to be determined which will display on each row?

This might require more than one query to get to the final output. I need a more complete sample of the tables. Does the field with the sample criteria data you present actually have other values in it? Does the search table have values other than AR-15?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    No, that's not what my question was going for. Your sample source data appears to shows the searched for string in two fields.

Are you confirming that the 3 forms of data possible? I should have been clearer with my question. I was make point that Access doesn't care about case, even though your sample shows both.

Unfortunately, I am stumped by your desired output. You show two search criteria (AR-15, AR-15A) and want to display these in field of the output. How is it to be determined which will display on each row?

This might require more than one query to get to the final output. I need a more complete sample of the tables. Does the field with the sample criteria data you present actually have other values in it? Does the search table have values other than AR-15?

Basically I'm searching all records of table 1 using multiple criteria (in a column) from table 2. I've created and attached two tables in Excel for demo purposes.

Results should be similar to what you see in Sheet 2 of "Table to Search Within.xls".

June7 is online now VIP
    Following is the best I can come up with in a query:
    SELECT DISTINCT Search.Field1, Replace([Search]![Field1],"-","") AS NoHyphen, DLookUp("Field1","Criteria",Chr(34) & [NoHyphen] & Chr(34) & " Like " & Chr(34) & Chr(42) & Chr(34) & Chr(38) & " Replace([Field1],'-','')" & Chr(38) & Chr(34) & Chr(42) & Chr(34)) AS Criteria
    FROM Search, Criteria
    WHERE (((Replace([Search]![Field1],"-","")) Like "*" & Replace([Criteria]![Field1],"-","") & "*"));

One problem is with AR-15a. The string 'AR-15A Clean' is matched to AR-15 instead of AR-15A, which is not surprising. Same goes for AM-64a that matches to AM-64.

Also, can't deal with the space instead of hyphen in 'BR8 ES is good' so this record is not returned.

My assessment leads me to believe would need VBA to accomplish more. Even then, matching variable strings like this is never easy.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Following is the best I can come up with in a query:
    SELECT DISTINCT Search.Field1, Replace([Search]![Field1],"-","") AS NoHyphen, DLookUp("Field1","Criteria",Chr(34) & [NoHyphen] & Chr(34) & " Like " & Chr(34) & Chr(42) & Chr(34) & Chr(38) & " Replace([Field1],'-','')" & Chr(38) & Chr(34) & Chr(42) & Chr(34)) AS Criteria
    FROM Search, Criteria
    WHERE (((Replace([Search]![Field1],"-","")) Like "*" & Replace([Criteria]![Field1],"-","") & "*"));

One problem is with AR-15a. The string 'AR-15A Clean' is matched to AR-15 instead of AR-15A, which is not surprising. Same goes for AM-64a that matches to AM-64.

Also, can't deal with the space instead of hyphen in 'BR8 ES is good' so this record is not returned.

My assessment leads me to believe would need VBA to accomplish more. Even then, matching variable strings like this is never easy.
    I agree with what you are saying, so I need to discover how to use VBA or better yet, VB to search the records. Do you or does anyone else know how to do that?

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, I know how. A custom function could be called from query. Input argument for the function would be the string to search in and the return would be the matched criteria, if found. The function would match criteria like AR-15A before AR-15. Probably make use of VBA coded recordset in the function. Open recordset of criteria table, sorted descending order. Compare the input with each value of recordset (without hyphens or spaces) until match or end of file (then no match found). Something like:
    Code:
    Public Function MatchCriteria(strSearch As String) As String
    Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set cn = CurrentProject.Connection
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.Open "SELECT * FROM Criteria ORDER BY Field1 DESC;", cn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
    strSearch = Replace(Replace(strSearch, "-", ""), " ", "")
    Do While Not rs.EOF
        If InStr(strSearch, Replace(Replace(rs!Field1, "-", ""), " ", "")) > 0 Then MatchCriteria = rs!Field1
        If MatchCriteria <> "" Then
            Exit Do
        Else
            rs.MoveNext
        End If
    Loop
    rs.Close
    End Function
    Be sure to select the VBA reference: Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.x Library
    The function is placed in a general code module. Call the function in expression of query that has the Search table as source.
    Criteria: MatchCriteria([fieldname])
    This worked with the sample data you provided. Be aware that searching on variable strings is tricky and variance from the pattern indicatd by your sample will probably produce erroneous results.

Be very careful. Can get caught in endless loop and have to kill the app with Task Manager (I did several times). This will happen if the necessary reference library is not selected as well as if code is not right.
    Last edited by June7; 06-02-2011 at 12:56 AM.

nbballard is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003
    I hate to wake-up an old post- but I am trying to do something similar and encountered a problem.

When I attempt to use my 2 table structure to search for the values in my reference table, any value that causes a match is written to my result once for every value on the reference table.

Example:
    I have 2 tables:
    Table 1:
    Value 1
    Value 2
    Value 3

Table 2:
    Blah Blah Value1 Blah
    Blah Blah
    Blah Blah

What I want to receive back is:
    Results:
    Column 1: Value1
    Column 2: Blah Blah Value1 Blah

But what I get is 3 rows, all containing "Blah Blah Value1 Blah" in column 2, but Column 1 contains all 3 values.

How do i need to format the request in Access so that the criteria is smart enough to pull the records based on a "Like *[Value]*", and have it also record what value the match was on in a seperate column?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.