ksmith is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Working on a split database at home

Thanks in advance for your help,

I have a split database at work and it is working correctly.

I copied the front-end and the back-end to a flash-drive. I then copied both of the files from my flash-drive to my home computer.

I can open the back-end database and it shows all of the tables but, I can't open the front-end database. I was planning on doing some work this weekend.

I have opened the back-end an imported all forms, reports, queries, and macros from the front-end database. But I can't open it??

If I do any work will I have to split the database again so I can updated the databases at work?

Thanks for the help.

KSmith

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you set the Trusted Location at home. You should have been able to open the FE at home. You might have gotten an error if you haven't relinked the BE yet but it should have opened. Did you try and open while holding down a <SHIFT> key?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Do you get any error messages when attempting to open? You said the all-in-one version also won't open? Like RuralGuy suggested, probably need to set Trusted Location or set Access to not block code execution. What version of Access?

I guess the answer to split question is yes. The work you want to do is add data, not design changes?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Actually my home computer (laptop) is the computer where the majority of the work was done before it was copied to the 'NEW' work computer. So it is a trusted location.

I have the 'UN-Split" version of the database on my home computer. I re-named the un-split version and copied the front-end to the same folder as the un-split version.

I tried holding down the shift key while it was opening, it went to the same screen as before. The screen that you go to when you first open Access, the one with the templates and stuff on it.

Thanks,

KSmith

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    That is odd but can you then navigate to the frontend and open? Does the un-split version open immediately?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks June7 for the reply,

NO, i cannot seem to navigate to the split front-end.

I can open the re-named un-split database and after I imported all of the forms, reports, queries, and macros to the back-end database, I was able to open it.

Kinda strange,

KSmith

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I can only think that it got corrupted so badly couldn't even open it so could do Compact & Repair. At least you were able to import to other file so not total loss.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks June7,

Sorry for the slow response to your post. I’m at work now and I have my laptop with me so I should be able to work this thing out.
    Again thanks for the help.
    KSmith

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.