abrown is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Dropdown box selections that populate different dropdown selections for next field

I have a main form for the classes that I teach with the following criteria:

Class Date
    Class Name
    Levels
    Categories
    Objectives
    Instructor
    Available Hours
    Comments

I need the following to occur:
    • I select a level field based on 3 choices (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced)
    • Then, the category field populates a specific category list based on what level I selected
    • Then, the Objective field populates a specific objective list based on the level, and category selected.
    I also need it to have the capability to select multiple choices if necessary.

For example:
    A class can involve all 3 levels with multiple categories and objectives or just one selection of each.

How do I setup the tables so that I can build this form? i.e. do I need a table for each level, category, and objective list or can it all be in one central table?

How do I get the form to work/update depending on which selection I make?

Later, I will need a subform that shows the employees who were present/not present at the classes with their earned hours and scores. (This subform would need to, at times, prepopulate the same multiple employees for each class given, so I know that I will need a command button for this action)

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time!

Amanda

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There are free video tutorials at DigitalPig.

You want to review cascading Combos.

Watch this
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox1.html and
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox2.html

abrown is offline Novice
    Those are very informative videos and exactly what I am needing! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

How did you find out about the videos? I'm sure this datapigtechnologies has other videos that I may need in the future.

abrown is offline Novice
    I don't think this video (answer) will allow multiple selections, which is fine, but I would need to select the 3 types of criteria and have it add to a box below and then clear the above selctions for the next 3 types of criteria for the class since there can be multiple level, categories, and objectives for the same class.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this?

For example:
    * Select (Basic, Intermediate, OR Advanced)
    * Select one Category based on the (Basic, Intermediate, OR Advance) from above.
    * Select the Objective(s) based on the selected options above covered in the class.

The class could potentially have the follow items:
    1. Basic, Category 1, Objectives 1-4 (10 options available but only selected first 4)
    2. Basic, Category 12, Objectives 1-7 (All 7 of this list were selected)
    3. Advanced, Category 1, Objectives 1,3, AND 5 (5 options available but only selected 1, 3, AND 5)
    4. Intermediate, Category 2, Objectives 1 AND 4 (10 options available but only selected 1 AND 4)

Windows XP Access 2003
    It's all based on cascading combos, just another level.

Pick From Box A, use that selection to select from box B, and use the Selection to Select from Box C.

There is another video at datapig, I forget if it does 3 combos.

It's the same link just replace the 2 with a 3.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    DataPigTechnologies home page http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/

You want to be able to multi-select items from the third control? Has to be a multi-select listbox and need VBA code to cycle through the list and grab the selected items. Google: VBA multi-select listbox
    Here is one http://www.vbexplorer.com/VBExplorer...0/june2000.asp

Build row source for the dependent listbox same way as for combobox. Cascade the dependencies as many as you want. You can even control availability of the controls. Have only the first control enabled when form opens and the next one enabled after data selection, and then 3rd one enabled after selection in the second, etc. The '3' video is for multi-column comboboxes, will not help for multi-select items.

Why are criteria copied to another box? Don't you want to save a record for each set of selections?

I refuse to use multi-value fields in tables. Will cause issues for filtering and sorting data. Violates relational database concepts of normalized data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Amanda

From your post:
    The class could potentially have the follow items:
    1. Basic, Category 1, Objectives 1-4 (10 options available but only selected first 4)
    2. Basic, Category 12, Objectives 1-7 (All 7 of this list were selected)
    3. Advanced, Category 1, Objectives 1,3, AND 5 (5 options available but only selected 1, 3, AND 5)
    4. Intermediate, Category 2, Objectives 1 AND 4 (10 options available but only selected 1 AND 4)

If I have understood your needs correctly:
    Advanced to be selected from the 1st combo box.
    Category 1 to be selected from the 2nd combo box.
    Three selections (Objectives 1,3, AND 5) to be made in the 3rd control, that would be selected from a list of 5 items?

This can be done, but the third control would need to be a listbox control not a combo box. The "Multi Select" property of the listbox would need to be set to "Simple" or "Extended", to allow multiple selection.

Regards

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Fitz; 05-21-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    It's all based on cascading combos, just another level.

Pick From Box A, use that selection to select from box B, and use the Selection to Select from Box C.

There is another video at datapig, I forget if it does 3 combos.

It's the same link just replace the 2 with a 3.
    Yes as the others have said, if you want to multi select you have to use List box. And Datapig has a listbox video also.

Sorry for not reading your original closely to pick up on the multi select.

Good luck.

abrown is offline Novice
    June7 asked: Why are criteria copied to another box? Don't you want to save a record for each set of selections?

My answer is no because several levels, categories, and objectives can be covered in one class, therefore I will need to be able to select the level, category, and objectives that were covered and add them to a text box or something.

I am able to make the combo boxes work like I need them to by watching the videos at datapigtechnologies website provided earlier. What would the command button code need to have for the OnClick action to take place and add it to the text box below.

Basically, the end result would be the text box that includes all of the selections, not the level, category, and objectives.

My other option would be to add several (probably up to 5 or 6) level, category, objective combo and list boxes on 1 form so that several options can be selected.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be best?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.