jhollingsh615 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

A2007 ComboBox: default value with value list & lock

I have a multi-user A2007 DB split front/back end. All user activities are done via forms. At its core, this is a contact database, with detailed event and corporate affiliations pulled together on one form.

Each user is assigned specific records to maintain contact accuracy. I don't know how to write my own user-level security, so users are on the "honor system" to not modify records that are not within their assignment.

I have a combo box which uses a value list with a row source of "active";"inactive" Unfortunately, a small number of stubborn users insist on toggling this field for contacts which they do not control. They often make mistakes and "inactivate" contacts unnecessarily.

My only idea thus far is to set a default value of "active" for the field and then set the locked property to "yes". Would this allow users to add records as normal, with the "active" designation in the field....and also prevent them from changing that field? My intent is to force users to consult me before inactivating contacts(this is rarely needed at this point in time.)

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    those pesky users; lock the control - - and probably at the table level make the default value as 'active' also I suppose.....

not sure how many people & what volume....if its high - you could add a checkbox field to the table/form for "make InActive request"....and then query that field periodically to see which records are being requested to be inactive......

might help.

khalid is offline MS-Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi,
    how your users access your applications? are you providing them a login form with user ids and passwords??? and registering their entries in a log table?

If no, then you have to make a mechanism to control your users and provide them their own contacts to work.
    This can be achieved by creating a table with the users names and passwords field and other detail to register a user.
    Then give access to the users to their related contacts. once they login to your application, they will be offered only their contacts.

jhollingsh615 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Khalid, I appreciate the assist. To further explain, this is a pretty small office, but we have about 2,500 contacts. All contacts are available to every user to view, create mailing lists, etc...Each individual staffer is responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the basic contact info for a subset of all contacts. That way, the work load of maintenance is spread relatively equally among the small staff. This is all handled via forms because each contact has a significant amount of info that needs to be seen easily, and the users are very, very basic....as am I in most ways....

If I could do a log-in that would allow them to view all records, and only allow them to edit certain sets of records, that'd be great. But, I thought that would require user-level security which is no longer available.....And, I'm not aware of how it would be done now....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.