ajolson1964 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Linking Scanned Documents (pdf)

My employer would like for a document that has been scanned on the network scanner to appear in client file.

Let‘s assume the file will be in PDF format in a specified folder and that the first 4 charters in the document will be the unique client ID followed by the description of the type of document. Something like 3980 Offer Letter.pdf

Can I have access evaluate that folder and only display those files that are have to do with that client in a form where only that client information appears? Also if the user clicks on the file it needs to open.

Is this possible and if so can someone give me an article or advice of what I can do to make this work.

Maybe I am going down the wrong path and there is another way to accomplish this. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

I thought of hyperlinks but not sure if that would be virtual.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    display them HOW?? a list?? the actual document?? for actuals, try the PDF viewer active x. for a list, try Allen Browne's directory code here: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    yes. There are several approaches. Your version has an Attachment field type that could be set up at the table level. An alternative is the Hyperlink field type.

There is also one approach if you want to see the image with each record of a form or report vs a different approach if you want to just open the image on demand.

So definitely the answer is yes. One really should have an Access text book, easily found at Amazon or a big book store - and they all have instructions on images & attachments.

Finally, one should always keep in mind that there is a big difference between opening an 'image' (by this I mean a single passive view of something) vs an application (like adobe reader or Word or Excel). Attempting to window a fully operable application thru an Access Form or Report is trouble - so in cases like this you want to approach it with the hyperlink field type that will launch the other application in a totally separate window. imo

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.