oleBucky is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Passing Multi Select string to Query criteria

I know, it's a long post but please bear with me...

I am trying to pass the string results from a Multi Select list box to an existing SQL row source for a different lb. Two questions: 1) Is the following a reasonable approach? 2) If so, what might I use to pass the string to the existing SQL?

The row source in the dependent lb relies upon selections for four other lbs. I've tested the first three independently and then together and all is well. I am currently unable to integrate the final lb (which is the MS lb) into the row source for the dependent lb.

The particulars:
    The three working source lbs are listHLBTeams, listMLBTeams and listPlayerYears. These are not MS.
    The MS ls with which I am struggling is listPositions.
    The lb with the results (dependent) is listPlayers.

My current approach is to use an After Update event with the following code I plagiarized and adapted to generate a string (strSQL) from the selections in listPositions. The string generated is exactly as I tested by manually entering into the criteria on the design view for the SQL driving the row source on listPlayers. Such as ""L-R" Or "Cf""
    Code:
    Private Sub listPositions_AfterUpdate()

Dim frm As Form, ctl As Control
        Dim varItem As Variant
        Dim strSQL As String
            'Set frm = Form!frmCardByPosition
            Set ctl = Me.listPositions
            strSQL = """" & Me.listPositions.Value
            'enumerate selected items and
            'concatenate to strSQL
            For Each varItem In ctl.ItemsSelected
                strSQL = strSQL & ctl.ItemData(varItem) & """ Or """
            Next varItem

'Trim the end of strSQL
            strSQL = Left$(strSQL, Len(strSQL) - 4)
        Me.txtEvalPositionsSelected = strSQL
        Me.listPlayer.Requery
        Me.txtImageRecordControl = Null
    End Sub
    However, I cannot come up with a function in the criteria window to use strSQL. This is the current code for the row source of the dependent lb without any attempt at passing the string from listPositions.
    Code:
    SELECT tblPlayers.PlayerID, tblPlayers.NameLast, tblPlayers.NameFirst, tblPlayerYear.PlayerYear, tblMLBTeams.City, tblMLBTeams.Club, tblPlayers.HLBTeamID, tblPlayers.MLBTeamID, tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK, tblPlayers.Pos1
    FROM tblPlayerYear INNER JOIN (tblMLBTeams INNER JOIN tblPlayers ON tblMLBTeams.MLBTeamID = tblPlayers.MLBTeamID) ON tblPlayerYear.PlayerYearID = tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK
    WHERE (((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND ((tblPlayers.MLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listMLBTeam]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]))
    ORDER BY tblPlayers.NameLast, tblPlayers.NameFirst, tblPlayerYear.PlayerYear, tblMLBTeams.City, tblMLBTeams.Club;
    My research continues but, in advance, any insight or assistance is greatly appreciated.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I cannot come up with a function in the criteria window to use strSQL
    So you are trying to pass the contents of the variable in the code to a query you are designing in the query design grid? I don't think that will work.

Why don't you just build the row source query of the list box within the code itself and use the variable there. Then just assign the constructed query to the row source of the list box?

dim mySQL as string

mySQL= "SELECT .... FROM....."
    mySQL= mySQL & "WHERE somefield in (" & strSQL & ")"

me.listboxname.rowsource=mySQL

Windows XP Access 2003
    I knew my flawed table design would lead to a very long SQL statement. This is what I was trying ot avoid as I am awful with syntax.

True to my fears, it took hours for me to get the syntax right but, with years of research and billions of dollars, I succeeded. The code below is my working version. Please note I decided to change the MS lb from listPositions to listMlbteams after some db working trials.
    Code:

Private Sub listMLBTeam_AfterUpdate()
    Dim frm As Form, ctl As Control
    Dim varItem As Variant
    Dim strTeamSubSQL As String
    Dim strSQL As String

'Set frm = Form!frmCardByPosition
    Set ctl = Me.listMLBTeam
    strTeamSubSQL = "(tblPlayers.MLBTeamID)=" & Me.listMLBTeam.Value
    '[MLBTeamID] is the bound field in lb
    'enumerate selected items and
    'concatenate to strSQL
    For Each varItem In ctl.ItemsSelected
    strTeamSubSQL = strTeamSubSQL & ctl.ItemData(varItem) & " Or (tblPlayers.MLBTeamID)="
    Next varItem
    'Trim the end of strSQL
    strTeamSubSQL = Left$(strTeamSubSQL, Len(strTeamSubSQL) - 26)

'Create the sql by substituting "strTeamsSubSQL" into longer sql statement
    strSQL = _
    "SELECT tblPlayers.PlayerID, tblPlayers.NameLast, tblPlayers.NameFirst, tblPlayerYear.PlayerYear, tblMLBTeams.City, tblMLBTeams.Club, tblPlayers.Pos1, tblPlayers.Pos2, tblPlayers.Pos3, tblPlayers.Pos4, tblPlayers.Pos5, tblPlayers.Pos6, tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK, tblPlayers.HLBTeamID, tblPlayers.MLBTeamID " & _
    "FROM tblPlayerYear INNER JOIN (tblMLBTeams INNER JOIN tblPlayers ON tblMLBTeams.MLBTeamID = tblPlayers.MLBTeamID) ON tblPlayerYear.PlayerYearID = tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK " & _
    "Where " & _
    "(((tblPlayers.Pos1) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPositions]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]) AND ((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND (" & strTeamSubSQL & ")) " & _
    "OR (((tblPlayers.Pos2) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPositions]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]) AND ((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND (" & strTeamSubSQL & ")) " & _
    "OR (((tblPlayers.Pos3) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPositions]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]) AND ((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND (" & strTeamSubSQL & ")) " & _
    "OR (((tblPlayers.Pos4) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPositions]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]) AND ((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND (" & strTeamSubSQL & ")) " & _
    "OR (((tblPlayers.Pos5) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPositions]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]) AND ((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND (" & strTeamSubSQL & ")) " & _
    "OR (((tblPlayers.Pos6) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPositions]) AND ((tblPlayers.PlayerYearIDFK) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listPlayerYear]) AND ((tblPlayers.HLBTeamID) Like [Forms]![frmCardByPosition]![listHLBTeam]) AND (" & strTeamSubSQL & ")) " & _
    "ORDER BY tblPlayers.NameLast, tblPlayers.NameFirst, tblPlayerYear.PlayerYear, tblMLBTeams.City, tblMLBTeams.Club;"
    Me.txtEvallistMLBTeams = strTeamSubSQL 'data verification text box
    Me.txtSQLforlistPlayers = strSQL 'data verification text box
    Me.listPlayer.RowSource = strSQL
    Me.listPlayer.Requery
    Me.txtImageRecordControl = Null
    End Sub

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Glad to hear that you got it worked out. If you want to save yourself future headaches maybe it is time to fix the flawed table structure?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    Glad to hear that you got it worked out. If you want to save yourself future headaches maybe it is time to fix the flawed table structure?
    m-m-m-m-m-m... could be.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.