lwoods is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Access does not build correct APPEND query

Access 2007: Created an APPEND query where column names have embedded blanks. Access builds an INSERT (...) with a SELECT for the values of the input table BUT builds the SELECT fields incorrectly. Instead of the SELECT looking like this: SELECT [inputtable].[col1],[inputtable].[col2],.... it does not add the brackets around the table name so it looks like this: SELECT inputtable.[col1],inputtable.[col2],..... If I add the brackets by going to SQL view then it works. The problem is that I have 35 columns so this gets a little time consuming, particularly since I have to use a magnifying glass to view the SQL statement!

Anyone seen this problem...and have a solution?

TIA

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I don't have Acc2007. However, if you are building an Append query with 35 columns, with field names containing spaces, I would recommend you read the 10 commandments of Access at http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=172363

lwoods is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I don't have Acc2007. However, if you are building an Append query with 35 columns, with field names containing spaces, I would recommend you read the 10 commandments of Access at http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=172363
    Either give me an answer or don't respond. This is not a database that I designed but one that that I was asked to work on.

Do you have an answer or are you just going to be a wise-ass? Or, don't you even understand the question?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I do have Access2007 and no don't know why that happened. I just built an APPEND and it did fine. Can't replicate issue, can't offer solution.

I don't think Orange intended to be wiseass, offered what information could with circumstances. Didn't know you were dealing with someone else's mess. The guildelines are still worth being aware of. In future I suggest you graciously accept information offered. Someone took time to read your post and make attempt, we aren't here for the fame and fortune! If the reply doesn't resolve your issue, simply say so and offer more info or move on.

I also wonder about an APPEND with 35 fields. Where is this new data coming from?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.