noaccessguru is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Lookup List in a Form for Table Record entry...

Hi all,

I have a little question and I know it’s going to be a very simple one for some of you guys……but my little brain can’t work it out
    (I apologise, this question may have been asked and answered previously)

I have a Table of Materials that I need users to enter details in for when there is a new Material (there are about 20 fields).
    So I have created a Form linked to this Table with all the fields, so that they can just go to last record, add a new record and enter in all the details

I have read quite a few responses from people saying not to put Drop Down Lists (Lookup Lists) in a table (Using the Lookup Wizard) and have said it is better to do it on the Form rather than in the table..

How do I do a lookup list through the Form for a field from the table so that the user can select an option? (I only need it on a couple of fields) As there are some fields that I need them to select from a lookup list rather than manually typing it in (obviously to eliminate typo errors)
    If I do the lookup list through the table field properties it works, but what’s the best way….and how??

I’m not very good with all this Code/SQL/Macro stuff, so in easiest terms in the Design View would be a great help

Appreciate any help!!

Thanks in advance guys

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I also have the opinion that setting these field properties in table is not a great benefit. Users should not work directly with tables and as a developer when I view tables I want to see actual values, not lookup aliases. But in your case, might be useful as a learning vehicle. These field properties will be adopted by controls when you add the control to form/report by drag/drop from the form/report designer field list. Do that then look at the corresponding properties of the control. Be aware that changing field properties in table will not change existing controls.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.