darlaj5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

New at access and confused

Ok I"m trying to create a data base for our transportation department for special needs students. I have narrowed it down to three tables:
    1-sped students-contains all info about students
    2-pick up schedule

3-drop off schedule
    Then I created a Query that combines all info. I will then create a query for each bus. My problem is in each table I want to put the students name but the data is not consistant. Meaning if I change the name in one it doesn't change in the other. I made the relationship the id #. And when I complete the form the id # in all tables and queries are the same but the common fields are not.

I'm very new and self taught so if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You need to determine what entities make up your data structure. By schedule do you mean an established bus route? Are students assigned to a bus/route? Wouldn't the pickup route be the same as dropoff?

Need to know more about the data tables you have set up. Not sure two schedule tables are needed. Are the fields same in both?

Not really understanding this statement: "And when I complete the form the id # in all tables and queries are the same but the common fields are not."

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    darla,

I'm sorry honey, but I wasn't going to butt in here. but have you considered a third party here? I know here in Iowa City, IA, the bus systems are now run by conglomerates, which is a very good thing. Good thing of course, because of the fact that they have access to server knowledge and knowledgeable professionals.

The only I reason I mention this is because it "might" be worth your time to seek out people that have an understand of online technologies, rather than doing it yourself. Access is NOT the program to use with online technologies, even though it does work in many scenarios, like with sql server.

From a business person's perspective, I would say that, if you have little knowledge of accesss an/or managing databases, I would recommend that you look into maybe bringing a third party, or least someone that knows something about maintaining data in the long run. But of course, you have to have both the money and the open mind to consider it.

But at any rate, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents for ya. Good luck!

darlaj5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks Adam I appreciate your input. This data base I'm trying to put together is actually only a small piece of the pie to eliminate redundant tasks. We use School Master for our transportation needs. I'm creating this data base to minimize the users on School Master. Its complicated and I'm sure difficult to relate to, never the less it will satisfy our needs. I think I'm just challenged and determined to understand this program. I have actually set up the data base and it works and serves the purpose now. THe only thing I haven't put together yet is the sorting but based on the info above I'm sure it will come together. If not I'll just run one report for pu and one for do. Thank you to all for you input I love this site. I'm going to take the tutorials and learn this program. Thanks for the link, I'm obsessed with this access now, lol. This post applies to both my threads.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Adam,
    Constructive advice is always welcome and I don't view another member's input to a thread as butting in. Made a good point to OP about seeking 3rd party assistance. Does sound like darla is struggling a bit but making progress. I did a quick search for an existing Access project for this application and didn't find any.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.