weiguo.shi is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Smile [help]book for access learner

Hi all, I'm a new Access learner, and now I can realise some basical queries and selections, but I want to do more, like make a simple interface to set conditions and select the data. For example, on my interface, I can set the 'StartDay' and 'EndDay', then clic the button to select the data during this period.

There are two books of Access 2010 as below, and which one I should take? If somobody knows something about these two books, could you give me some advices? I'll appreciate that. Thank you in advance.

1."Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out"
    2."Access 2010 Programmers Reference"

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    INSIDE OUT books I have never personally liked. and the reason I don't is because they're extremely long and theoretical. And they also tend to have a lot of advanced concept in them, especially in the later pages.

The programmer's reference books are good, IMO. I personally like anything published by WROX.

nicknameoscar is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Hi,

Everyone reads and comprehends differently so it is very difficult for one person to say a particular book can help another person. When I started out with Access about 3 years ago I bought the "Access 2000 Bible" by Prague and Irwin. I ended up buying many other Access books but found myself constantly going back to the 'Bible'. Of course you probably want the Access 2010 Bible if it exists. Another book that I CONSTANTLY go back to is "Access Cookbook" published by O'Reilly (forgot the author name(s)).

A piece of advice I learned the hard way. Buy used books. The new ones are outrageously expensive. If you don't mind some highlighting, curled covers, etc. then you can get many of even the newest books at pennies on the dollar. I haven't used Access 2010 but, if you are just starting out, I am betting you don't really need Access 2010 books. I still use Access 2000 books even though I am using Access 2007.

Sorry, contradicted myself. You probaby don't really 'need' the Access 2010 Bible. The basics of Access are applicable to all the versions (at least the versions I have used).
    Last edited by nicknameoscar; 05-05-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: clear up contradiction

thank you very much, I have bought both, and I find them useful.

thank you very much, I have bought both, and I find them useful!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.