jbweller is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Grid on a Form

I am a retired Visual FoxPro programmer. I have been asked to create a membership application using MSAccess. I would like to replicate a form which I found very useful in VFP. It consists of a grid containing name and address of a member with detail fields below. The user scrolls through the list of names and addresses to identify an individual then clicks on their record. The detail fields are then populated with data held on that individual. I cannot find how to do it in the books I have read, they all seem to concentrate on the master/detail scenario. I would be grateful for any help, even if it is only 'can't be done'.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    of course it can be done. VFP is just another database program, right?

Define "grid", if you will. There are grids on Access forms, but their functionality is pretty much tied to the object in a static format. It's basically used the same as the grid on a windows desktop screen.

if "grid" = "a list of members or records", it would be simple. if that's true, a split form comes to mind...top portion is continuous form with a double click event, which fills the bottom portion's fields and/or controls (if applicable).

caddcop is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You can define a listbox as multi-column and even display column headers. I don't recall if you can display horizontal lines between each row, but you can indicate one or more rows as selected and act on the data displayed using a secondary form or other controls.
    There is also a flexi-grid active X control, but you need to make sure it is the latest version as one earlier version was disabled by a Microsoft security patch.
    Last edited by caddcop; 03-23-2011 at 01:42 PM.

jbweller is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Many thanks. Sorry for the delay in replying - minor domestic disturbance. Yes VFP is a database program but the terminology is different to Access and I find it difficult to locate what I need in the various books I have on Access. Grid is such a term, I mean it as a list of members, so it looks as though a split form as you suggested would work. I will investigate.

caddcop is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You might be able to fake horizontal lines by using an underlined font

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.