pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003

SQL Server relationships re-created in the mdb Relational diagram

I use SQL Server linked tables in all my mdb applications. For one of these applications, I created a 2nd mdb with just the linked SQL Server tables in it (ie. no interface - so one of our data analysts could design their own queries.)

Today she showed me that she had actually re-created all/most of the relationships for the SQL Server tables in the mdb Relational diagram (versus only creating the joins between the tables in the actual queries). She is the only one which uses this 2nd mdb.

My question is would her creating relationships for the SQL Server tables in the mdb Relational Diagram (only the one she gets into) have any affect on other users using the main application? (and if so, I'm guessing it would only be when she has her mdb open.)

She 'could' possibly have one of the relationships setup incorrectly in her mdb (I have yet to check). She does this to make setting up her queries easier since their are about 30 relational tables in the db.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    pks - I consider you to know more about Access than I....but my understanding is that her relationships are only relevant to her.

I believe the relationship diagram feature is essentially a convenience feature in auto making joins in queries, subforms, subreports, etc. - and a design assistance feature in giving one an overview of how tables cross reference....

So it won't affect anyone. On the otherhand if she is making a fixed relationship between tables which is incorrect or differs, per you the actual designer - then as you well know query results would differ because there is a different join. Whether or not that is an issue I don't know....

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the reply NTC. I just couldn't find anywhere on the web about it. I'm assuming No it doesn't affect the main app but I couldn't be absolutely sure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.