bcmarshall is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Timer routine in Access 2007

I'm trying to add a new capability to a database I wrote for an insurance company. One of their business models is to return quotes to the requester within 12 minutes, and they are very serious about doing this in every case.

I already have a routine written which stamps the current time at the time a quote is initiated, but it's used to simply print the elapsed time from start to the quote printing for information purposes. They have asked me to expand on that. They would like admin users to have a message pop on their screen when a quote has been initiated 10 minutes prior so that they are aware of any agent that is having trouble meeting the requirement and can help if needed.

There is no admin level set up, as it is a small office and has not been considered necessary.

I can envision an addition to the AutoExec macro that runs at startup and opens forms that will be used which notes which user is opening that specific computer. If it's one of those designated as admin then a timer routine would run every minute. It would do a DLookup on a Query which returns the username of anyone who has a quote 10 minutes old or older with no print time. If the DLookup Is Not Null, then the Query would open on admin screens showing them who, what time, etc.

The Query is easy to construct, and getting it to open on timer command is not a problem. The issue I'm not sure how to solve is to get the individual work station to recognize that it has been logged onto by one of those users considered as admin.

Does anyone know how to identify the user at logon and run certain commands only for those users? If I can get that part of it working I can make the rest operate as intended.

Assistance would be appreciated.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Forms has a timer property. So I guess I would have a form open with a timer running with ~30 second trigger

that in turn fires a DCount of query

if >0 then a claim is >10mins old
    so trigger a report open

something along these lines.....

Not sure it helps but maybe.....

Windows XP Access 2003

Timer in Access 2007

Yes, I'm aware of the timer features on forms and how to use it. And what you said is pretty much what I had in mind. The real issue is an expression that looks at the username on login and allows me to tell it whether to run that routine or not. That's what I don't know how to accomplish.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    while I'm not sure I follow why in your case..... one can have a LogIn Table that tracks who is Logged in and when....

Windows XP Access 2003
    It's more than just an overall report of who is logged in. Let's say that A, B, and C are considered admin users, while D-J are not. When the time warning is appropriate, I only want A-C to see it. Therefore, the routine is user-specific. I need an expression that, at login, will identify it it's A-C who is logging on and will activate that routine for that user, but if it's anyone else the routine is ignored.

Is that clearer?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.