thart21 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Constant "Not Responding" error

I'm struggling to figure this one out. I have an Access 2007 db that is linked to Excel 2007 worksheets. It takes forever to do anything in the db, whether it's opening a table or creating/running a query.
    1. Create query in design view - simply trying to select a table/query to put in the grid takes about 2 min.
    2. Queries take an average of 3-4 min to run with only 5k to 20k records if they run at all.
    3. If I try to right click on a query to view in Design View it won't open and I get "Not Responding" error.

I have tried to import everything into a new db, compact/repair and making my queries smaller, nothing seems to work. I have SP3 installed and tried to install a hotfix from MS KB949404) but it won't install stating "The expected version of the product was not found on the system".

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I feel as I've exhausted all other ideas.

Thanks,

Toni

kennejd is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It appears the Excel worksheets might be the source of your problem. Perhaps importing the worksheets would help your performance. I'm not sure what your overall goal is....but if you're running some periodic reports based on Excel tables setting up an import process might be the way to go.

thart21 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks, you were right. I imported the Excel files instead of linking and I'm getter much better performance. Don't get it as the files are not big, 4k-16k rows. Must be network issues, hopefully something I can check into with our IT group. For now, I'll just have to set up sometype of weekly import process for my users.

Thanks again for the help, wasted a lot of time on this one, will know what to look for next time.

Toni

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.