zero3ree is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Need help with creating a Database to list Org Chart

It has been quite a while since I have used Access and can't figure out how to start this. What I have is a table in access with headers such as empID, empName, supName,there are a few others that are not significant. What I am trying to do and can't remember how is to create I believe a query to pick a supName and it will list all empName that are related and I hope to have that spread out till the last name is not a supervisor to anyone.

So if I query a supName(Supervisor) what I will get is from that supervisor down to the last man in that department. Sometimes empName can also be supName and when that happens I want to have that list of empNames listed in the query also.

So now that I made that perfectly clear can anyone help. Here is a pic to help understand the table.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    IMO, from the pic it's impossible to give any advice at all. It doesn't really say anything. it's definitely not 'perfectly clear'.

it'd be better to see the relationships and the like.

kennejd is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Re: Need Help Creating Org Chart

Quote Originally Posted by zero3ree View Post
    It has been quite a while since I have used Access and can't figure out how to start this. What I have is a table in access with headers such as empID, empName, supName,there are a few others that are not significant. What I am trying to do and can't remember how is to create I believe a query to pick a supName and it will list all empName that are related and I hope to have that spread out till the last name is not a supervisor to anyone.

So if I query a supName(Supervisor) what I will get is from that supervisor down to the last man in that department. Sometimes empName can also be supName and when that happens I want to have that list of empNames listed in the query also.

So now that I made that perfectly clear can anyone help. Here is a pic to help understand the table.

In your query, add 2 employee tables and link the second to the supervisorId of the first table.

Jim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.