djoosten is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Converting Pictures to Base64 string and back

I have developed an Access application that uses Access as a Front-end database with all data coming from linked SQL Server tables. One of the SQL Server tables contains a text field which I am told contains Base 64 string data representing photos and other file types. I need to extract these photos to an Image Control on a form so that I can view them. Does anyone know what is required to do this?

I would also like to be able to convert .jpg pictures files to the Base 64 string to store in the text field.

Any help I can get to point me to some code to do this would be appreciated.

Max D is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You are making things complex a bit. If you want to develop your DB instead of spending days writing a picture-around functionality, give a try to the component for images we have developed - http://access.bukrek.net/

It will handle all the imaging operations automaticly, just place it on form and link to the BLOB field. No coding.

djoosten is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The back-end database in my case is a SQL table with a varchar field that holds a Base 64 text string. I do not control the BE database but I need to be able to see the photos in my Access database. I am already using a Activex control that can be bound to an Image field but not a Base64 text string. I need to do a conversion. Does Access Imagine allow me to bind to a Base64 text string or can it do the conversion?

Max D is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thats sad, that you doesn't have an ability to change the BE. There is no need to use Base64 for images really in this case.

AccessImagine doesn't have functionality for Base64 - there was no requests for this before.

You need to perform a conversion by your own. Here is a code for this - http://www.source-code.biz/snippets/vbasic/12.htm

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for helping out here Max!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.