Karin is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Building a FAQ

I'm trying to figure out whether I can use Microsoft Access to build a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) searchable database. Has anyone done something like this? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    yep! but why? is it for you? if it's for more than one people, it would be a much better idea to do it with an online database system like sql or mysql.

don't forget too, that a lot of FAQs out there that are made can already be found on the internet somewhere. The amount of stuff like this that's done completely baffles me. It's unreal.

Karin is offline Novice
    It's for my department at work. We have sales people calling in with technical questions about product functionality. We want to create a FAQ and make it available on our share. I'm a novice, so I need something not too complex, which is why I'm looking into using Access.

Access is not simple. The only thing that's really good about this program when you're a newb is the fact that you can get templates from almost anywhere.

there's probably not gonna be anything called faq template, but you can use any sort of template for a logging system and use if for the same purpose. be it call centers, contacts, whatever. they're all the same setup, really.

Karin is offline Novice
    Thanks for your help. Do you think that SQL or mySQL are easier than Access? Or is there anything else you can think of that I might try?

Access is the baby version of all the online systems. anything online is more complex, for a multitude of reasons. things like having to learn server-side programming, the amount of information they can handle, more complex data types, and of course the 3rd party control panel offered by the hosting companies.

the best about online, after you learn all those things, is that you don't have to do any maintenance, really. The reason is because the dbs are always on the server, and that's powered by the host. With access, you're the backbone, so any problems go to you.

but of course the big trade off is: with Access, learn one concept and you get rolling. with online, learn 5 concepts, write the scripts, and never do another thing (unless you're facebook and have to keep purchasing new space as the world keeps getting crazier!).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.