NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Unbound object not showing all of image

I thought I figured this out, but I was wrong.
    I have an unbound object in the detail section of my report that is linked to a chart in Excel. When I open the report (in preview or design view), only the top left corner of the chart shows up. I've tried resizing the chart in Excel, and resizing the unbound object frame, but it won't show the whole chart. What am I missing?

Windows XP Access 2007
    No responses seems like a bad sign to me. I hope someone out there has an answer. Allow me to recap...

I started my database in Access 2003. I set up a query to gather the required information, then used Transfer Spreadsheet in a macro to export the query to Excel. This information is used to fill a chart in Excel. The macro then opens a report in Access. The only thing on the report is an unbound object, where the Source Doc is the path to where the chart is located. This worked perfectly until we switched to Office 2007. When I converted the database, this report displays as a blank page, or sometimes only the upper left corner of the chart can be seen. The chart is working fine in Excel, telling me that the Transfer Spreadsheet must be working good. Here are some of the properties on the report;
    OLE Type-Linked
    OLE Type Allowed-Either
    OLE Class-Microsoft Office Excel 12
    Class-Excel.Sheet.12
    Update Options-Automatic
    Display Type-Content
    Enabled-Yes
    Visible-Yes

I have several reports in different databases that were built this way, and they are all having the same problem. Any help would be much appreciated!

kennejd is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    On the properties sheet of your control, check the 'Size Mode' under the Format tab. It should be set to Zoom.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks so much for the reply.
    I have tried changing this property. In Clip, the chart looks the perfect size in design view. Zoom is a little too big, and Stretch is way too big for the chart to fit on the report. Unfortunately, even in design view, only the top left corner of the chart is showing, and nothing at all in preview mode but a blank page (except for the header).
    Any further ideas on how this can be fixed would be appreciated.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Don't worry about how the chart looks in Design mode...it hardly ever looks right in the Design view. How does it look in Preview mode? If Zoom mode looks good, but is a little big....then resize the object.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Preview mode is just a header and the rest of the page is blank. No chart at all.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I may have made some progress, though not enough to matter yet.

In looking at exactly what was showing in design view, it seems that the only part of the Excel worksheet that would display on the report design view is cells A1-G10. I stretched the height/width on a couple of those rows/columns so now the chart fits within cells A1-C3. Now my report design view shows the whole chart instead of just the upper left corner, but still nothing but the header showing in print preview. The object size mode is still set on zoom, but doesn't show anything in clip or stretch mode either. If it matters, there is nothing in the Source Item property of the chart in design view. I've tried "Image" and "Chart", but it doesn't seem to matter. I can't find a good explanation of what this property is for.

Also, I just realized the chart does show up in Report View and Layout View (whatever those are) but since this will be printed, I think I need it showing in Print Preview.

I hope this added bit of information may be helpful in figuring out what is going wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Have you tried copying the cells (chart) from Excel and pasting them into the Access report? I'm not sure what your overall goal is.

It might be easier to create the chart in Access....if it requires a dynamic update.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I tried copying the chart, but that just pastes a copy of whatever chart was last calculated in Excel ( does not update). Since data is exported to Excel and placed in a chart when the report is open, the chart is always updated (linked) with the data in Excel. I have tried creating charts in Access, but you are so limited with how you can display the information that I find (and many seem to agree) that Excel is a better application for this.

As a followup, the first chart I was working on seems to be working fine now (I wish I knew what I did to fix it!). The second one (all set up exactly the same way) shows the border only of the unbound object, and the third shows only the border of the unbound object on page 2 of the report (there should only be one page).

Am I getting any closer to this working, or is it all just random quirks?

Windows XP Access 2007
    I think you're getting closer. Check all properties on the chart that's working...make sure your new charts are the same (you probably did that already). Maybe try copying the working object and change the reference?

Windows XP Access 2007
    I probably should have done this long before I had pulled all my hair out, but I just went to someone else for advise on this issue, and the report opened perfectly on their computer. That must mean the problem is with my computer. All files & everything associated with my databases are in the trusted zone for Access 2007, so I must be missing something else. Also, why would one report/chart open on my computer, but not the other ones, when they are all done in the same way?

I think I'm more confused than before!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Here's something strange...my right mouse button isn't working in Access (works ok in other programs), but now all of those charts are working fine. I haven't done anything with these db's in about 2 weeks. I really have no idea what to expect for tomorrow! Any ideas?
    Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.