thisandthat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Inventory

Hi

I'm very new to Access and I was hoping I could get some direction on how to start on a few things.

A bit of back ground: I'm trying create a simple way to track inventory, we bring in parts from a few different companies and suppliers move the parts between our two office locations and between our work vans.

I simply want to add inventory in when we buy it, if someone moves some inventory to a different office I want to be able to track that and when we sell it I want to know where it went.

I've used the Microsoft office inventory template to start and it seems to be a good starting place, but I'm stuck up on how to make the inventory location work.

For example I've put down a few "locations" our offices and a service van. In the inventory transactions list how would I specify that inventory has been moved and have it decrease the count in one place and increase the count in another?

On a side note am I even on the right track? Should I be using a different template?

Thanks ahead of time

Jonathan

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Jonathan,

Some good advice would be to go back to Excel. Do you need a fancy interface to impress someone? If not, do it in excel. It's much easier, and there's virtually nothing to learn.

But if you can't stand banging on the keyboard to type characters into little 'ol cells, you'll have to get used to it. Excel, IMO, is so much more efficient than Access is....really for 90% of tasks that people want to use Access for.

thisandthat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm just worried that by starting off in excel its going to limit the complexity I can grow the program into.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Yes it will, but it depends on how far you want to go.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.