Create a query to find people without particular records

Hi, please accept my apologies if this is posted somewhere else.

I have designed an HR database and i want to create a report that for example tell me who does not have "First Aid" training for example...

I have tbl_BasicDetails, tbl_TrainingReceived and tbl_TrainingTypes. I can create a query that tell me who has no training at all but i just can't create one that tells me who out of everyone does not have certain training (i have added a yes/no field called Required? to my tblTrainingTypes table) Has anyone any suggestions as i am either making it more complicated than it has to be or i need to change the design!

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Amanda;
    What are your fields in each table. Difficult to advise without all the details. Not sure if the field you are trying to write criteria to is a Yes/No or contains a string text. Sample db posted would help.
    Alan

Smile

Hi, not sure how i post a sample database but the fields in tables are as follows: tblTrainingTypes - TT_ID, TT_Name, TT_Category & TT_Required? (TT_Required is the only Yes/No field and this table is used as a look up table when entering peoples training.) tbl_BasicDetails has loads of fields starting with BD_ID, then BD_FirstName... with all address, DOB etc and then i have another table, tbl_TrainingReceived which contains...TR_ID, BD_ID, TT_ID (Chosen from the first table) then TR_DateReceived, TR_DateExpire sorry hope this is what you were asking for????

To post a file, hit reply, then scroll down to Manage Attachments and follow the guide.

I am trying to determine which field contains the information about First Aid Training and which field indicates whether it was received or not. Briefly, if First Aid is a record in one of the fields and Training Recieved is Yes/No in anohter field, you will need to set your criteria in the First Aid Field to "First Aid" and in your training received field set the criteria to "no"

I hope this helps you. If this is not the case, try to post your db.

Hi, sadly i can't post the db as it has everyones personal data on it. I understand what your saying but it doesn't work here as when i enter training i am already in the persons record, i then choose the training they have from a drop down list which is based on tbl_TrainingTypes. I think what i should have done to make things simple is in everyones training record list every single type of training and then have a "received" yes/no field and then the dates etc... i know our old DB designer struggled with this report and could only produce it by exporting to excel after writing a lot of code !! I am only self taught so i will keep trying - thank you

I suggest you make a copy of the db, sanitize it to have only a half dozen dummy records. This is very hard to visualize without seeing the layouts, etc. Sounds like your tables are not normalized.

Alan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.