I am attaching my excel datasheet which I need to adapt to use in access. It will be used by my boss to set up staff timetables for working with special needs children.

I wish to ask for advice on the best way to set up my tables, in order to achieve the results I need.

The sheet lists all staff, their hours, and the students they work with at each time.

I need to make it easier to see the timetable for individual staff and for individual students.

Thus

Staff form would look like:

SelectStaff.cbo (will find all records for that staff member) (probably in the header)

in datasheet style

TimeOfDay, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

The time of Day column will list times in 5 minute increments from 9am to 3pm.
The Monday-Friday columns will list the placement that staff member is with at that time on that day.

The placements form would look similar with Staff swapped in location with placements.

Finally there would be reports with similar layout to the above and another form which has a similar layout to the original table attached below.

This will form the default timetables for the staff.

I also need a way to record the hours staff actually work, taking into account the date, whether they were sick, did their own hours or covered someone else.

I had invisaged doing this by copying the above data to a form which is designed as above and then saving it with the date,time, staffid and placementid into another table.

Please give your advice as to how to start, I have tried all sorts of tables and have not been able to achieve the above type of form.

Staff members come and go and so do the placement children so these will need to be added and deleted easily by my boss.