KevinMCB is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Lock Down

Hey everyone. Quick question for all you form guru's. I know that is possible to set text boxes (fields) to read-only in a form. However, I would like to take it a step further. Say I have an inventory item that has a status field with a drop down arrow providing entries of "Active", "Incoming", and "Paid". These items have ID numbers, year made, etc. Is it possible to make all the entries that have been selected as "Paid" as read-only except of the status field?

So each entry is locked down except for the status field. So no way to edit it once the status has been changed to Paid? Thanks!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you won't be modifying the records that are "paid" then just dont retreive them. Set your query to pull everything WHERE status <> "Paid". Once a record gets changed to paid, have the form requery and it will be gone.

Outside of that, I dont know of a method to conditionally lock a record.

KevinMCB is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    That is a good idea, but I already have some buttons at the top to filter the status of each unit. So the active units show up first, then I can push a button to show the paid units or another button to show the incoming units. I like it that way so the history is viewable for the user in the form in case a mistake is made.

The more I look at this I think what I am trying to do is not possible. I can't make the form read-only because the user needs to be able to make changes to units in it, but would like to take away the ability to make changes to the paid units, other than the status field, so if a mistake is made they can change it back to active and make the corrections to the database. However looking in the properties sheet I do not think there is any way to do it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.