iteachyou is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Linking a student table to multiple tables

Hello there. Ive not been using access for that long but am amazed at its power, im trying to do some things and if anyone can shed any light into where i should be looking to achieve my resuts then i would be grateful.

I have amde a table called students. in ther are the field names of name, set and studentID (PK)

i have then made a table to one of the units called RE1 and in this table are the tasks which are graded such as planning, essay presentation and grade (i have set a FK to studentID also included in the table).

I have then tried to make a form and have the students name show up, the class and then the assessment mark for each unit re1, re2 re3. The problem i get is when i run the form =name? comes up in all of the added text boxes(i set the unbound to the tables eg =[tblstudent]![forename]. Normally i would autoform it but here ive designed the form from scratch and is pulling data from 2 different tables im trying to find out why im getting this error.

The next thing is this, if i have re1 and re2 with both having a foreign key to the studentID a dialogue comes up asking me which table to choose when the form i was trying to make i want to kust report all of the final grades for all of the units they have completed.

If you understand all that can you help me with some basic pointers into getting this sorted, no need to offer a full solution unless this is noob stuff and its easy , but where can i look on the net for relationship and table desig help for this kind of app?

Thanks
    Last edited by iteachyou; 02-06-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spel mistakes.. .. lol

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You need to create a query that joins the two tables and then use the AutoForm on the query.

iteachyou is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    but this table ive made to show each student and their respective grades for each of the units, howdo isort this name? error out.

thanks for reply tho

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If it is a 1:m relationship then use a mainForm/SubForm arrangement with the many side in the SubForm.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.