jgelpi16 is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Question rs.FindNext vs. rs.MoveNext

In an effort to not post a huge list of code I'll keep the code out of it...I posted earlier referring to a "FindNext" function in a recordset. However, if I just "FindNext" along my Do While loop does not advance to .EOF ever. If I use the rs.MoveNext feature (theoretically) will that wipe out my .FindNext command? Should I use .FindNext and then .MoveNext or vice versa?

What I am trying to do....

Find only the records that match an employee ID. Once all of the records have been "found" I want to kick out of the Do While loop and exit the function.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    hello again jg,

in that last thread, you never mentioned WHAT you do when you 'find' them. hopefully you're doing 'something'?? when I want to loop data like that and find only specific records, I only open the data set with that criteria in the sql statement. At that point, I don't even worry about finding records, because all of them already meet the criteria I want as soon as it's opened.

could you do that I wonder?? If anything, it'll make your life a whole lot simpler right now.

That is a possibility...Let me try to explain a little further...

I'm building a table to track changes to an employee's information. There can be multiple instances of the same employee. Specifically I am checking of their Position, Location or Pay Type changed. If either of those changed then I want to append the data from my current employee table to that "archive" table. So I want to find the first instance of the employee record, check to see if those criteria have changed, if anything has changed I append the record to the table and if nothing has changed I want to move on to the next employee. So I do not think just running a query on the recordset will solve my problem. If you can think of a simpler method for this I am all ears/eyes, believe me!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    your situation still applies. what I meant was something like:

Code:
    dim rs as dao.recordset
    set rs = currentdb.openrecordset("select * from table where employeeid = 5")

rs.movelast
    rs.movefirst

with rs
       while not .eof
          inequality condition here (then)
             'append the record or run sql comm..
          end if
                .movenext
       wend
    end with

etc, etc...
    make sense??

Yes that does. I'll give it a shot.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.