Countif in Access

I have this problem as you can see in the attached picture. I want to count the appearance (column Previous Appearance) of each record of another column (Product Name) in Access. The attachment shows in Excel how this is done (see the function COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A2)).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rose

BCJourney is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Rosekv,
    I don't see an attachment. If I understand what you're asking, you have two fields: "Appearance" and "Product Name". You want to count how many items in the "appearance" field that has a particular "Product Name" associated with it. If that is the case you would select the table, goto the create tab, choose query design. Add the "Appearance" and "Product Name" fields to the query grid. In the criteria section under "Product Name", specify the criteria you want to search for and count. e.g. "shirt" or "pants." Then on the ribbon click the totals icon. A totals row appears. In the total row of Appearance choose count from the drop down list. Run the query and it will return a count of records where appearance relates to the product name you specified in the criteria row.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.