kbp is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Strange thing happening in my forms!!!

Hi all, i'm having a weird problem with some data not appearing in the forms i created.

I created a form that shows information about a client, and the form has a button once clicked displays more detailed information.

The button is setup with the button wizard, and produces an embeded macro that opens the form and uses the following to retrieve the required data

="[clients.clients_id]=" & [clients_id]

It does this fine with some tables, but with others it just returns a blank form???

The tables with the data in are complete, so there is no missing fields.

The only thing that i can think of is that the 2 records that aren't displaying properly were created after the forms were created, while the 2 that are displaying correctly were entered into the tables before the forms were created??

Has anyone else come up against this before??

Thanks in advance

Andy

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    The button is setup with the button wizard, and produces an embeded macro that opens the form and uses the following to retrieve the required data
    Does the button open a second form? Or does it refresh the current form?

Can you please provide more details as to the tables that supply data to the forms (table names, field names, relationships)?

kbp is offline Novice
    Yeah my button opens up a second form.

The first form holds personal details such as :-

id, name, address, contact #, next of kin etc....

The second form displays details that come from the same table as the first form, and also a sub form which has tabs for displaying data collected from other tables such as [course] id, name of course, date. etc [qualifications] id, subject, level, grade

The second form loads when i click the button screen capture here
    It displays properly with some records screen capture of form working
    but not with others screen capture of form not working

the thing i dont get is that it works for some records but not for others

The ones it works for, were records created before i created the forms, and the ones it doesn't work for were created after forms were made. But i looked in the tables where the data is stored and its saved in the tables properly.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Do the records for which the form does not work have related records in all of the related tables?

What is the record source of the second form? Is it just the client table or is it a query? If it is a query, can you provide the SQL text of the query?

kbp is offline Novice
    In the second form the record source is the clients table

and the subforms record source are the related tables.

the only query that i'm using is the on the second form which is : -

[forms]![clients_form]![client_id]

which basically only loads in the info of the client in the main form.

I have also added a button which just opens the second form, instead of using the button wizard, thinking that it may be going wrong because its filtering [client_id] twice. But this has exactly the same effect.

And all the tables fields are complete

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm at a loss as to what is going wrong. Would it be possible for you to post a copy of your database with any sensitive data removed? As a note, I don't have Access 2007/2010 here at work, so I won't be able to look at the DB until tonight at home.

kbp is offline Novice
    hiya i didn't get a chance to reply to your post yesturday, i had an early finish... cause this thing has been bugging me so... I'm not a database guy.. I work in IT for a charity, and they think that because i work in IT i can do anything. lol

It would be awesome if you could have a look at it. Don't put yourself out tho. I'll have to ok it with my boss.... there is a lot of sensitive information held in the database. I have got copies with just test data in though so it should be ok.

i'll attach a copy when I ok it. And i'll put in a bit of a description of what i expected it to do, or what it was suppose to do... Its all pretty self explanitory really.

honestly though, don't put off anything to have a look, if worse comes to worse i can start again, i may not even have my tables or relationships setup properly, although i'm pretty sure i do!! lol tbh... i'm starting to doubt what little ability i have!!

Cheers
    Andy

Cheers

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.