tigers is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Book Recommendation / Advice?

I used to use Access a lot as a portal to run queries on an existing database. I think I am pretty good at the queries. But now I have been tasked with setting up a user-friendly database complete with forms and reports.

The three modules I need to set up are for tracking our company cell phones:

1. Track cell phone problems and resolution
    2. Upload monthly cell phone bills into database. The bills detail cell phone usage/purchases and we need to code the line item detail to either our company or to the cell phone owner.
    3. Track cell phone purchases by cell phone owner against a 2 year allowance for equipment purchases

I have a knowledge of the basics of forms and have used them in the past for simple tasks but I am really struggling with the above. Just little nuances like how do you select from a list and get it to populate the form, how do I prevent data that was already entered into a record from being accidentally over-written, drop downs, subforms, etc.

What I want is a book that will take me through the process of setting up a database which I would hope would guide me through the process and point out how to get around all of these nuances I keep coming across and writing a few expressions, macros, etc.

I've looked a little at training and I see that there are templates I can download from Microsoft so I might take a look at those. The third piece that I think would be helpful is this book/guide that will take me through the process with all of the details from start to finish.

Do you know of anything like this or do you have any other recommendations??

Thanks!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    given your access version, check this out:

http://www.lynda.com/home/displaycou...=98&lpk67=true

that website is so awesome with training. I used it extensively to train on Adobe Flash, as Adobe's software is rdiculously complex. I would seriously take a look at it. The trials last for 7 days, but I think they give you an extension if you don't subscribe.

I didn't of course, but no more to be said.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In general, I'm not a fan of paying for information when information is readily available. To be honest, I've learned more about Access through forums like this and Google searches than I have through classes and books.

My number one directive to anyone who asks for info.. "Google is your friend." You dont have to buy books or pay for lessons. Hands-on practice and readily available information can get you as far as you want to go.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Hmmm....that sounds like what I said back in .... of last year...

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    so... a month ago?

tigers is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for the advice and link!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.