Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wayne311 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Subform question

I have a subform within a form which is a receipt. In the subform I have a text box where a clerk can enter a number (1 thru 6) which correlates to a table (districts) with a field [district] numbers (1 thru 6). I want to display the next field in the table which has the cost [charge] for a service in that district. I don't want to add any records to this table (districts) but I do want to total multiple charges onto the receipt. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Wayne

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    what you're looking for is a simple dlookup() function, Wayne. Check that function out.

OK, I have been searching for dlookup...I came up with: =DLookUp("[Charge]","Districts","[District])=" & [CaseNumber Subform1]![DistrictTextBoxEnter])
    This only returns: #Name (not to useful).

The user enters a number (1 thru 6) into a text box (DistrictTextBoxEnter). I want another text box to display a $amount from field [Charge] table (Districts) that the user entered number relates to in field [District].

Thanks
    Wayne

very close Wayne. try something like:
    Code:
    =DLookUp("[Charge]","Districts",

"[District] = " & me![DistrictTextBoxEnter])
    sometimes the "me" indicator does not work this, which I have never understood.

If that doesn't work, you might have to replace it with the full reference syntax:
    Code:
    forms!subformdistrict1![DistrictTextBoxEnter]

The "me" indicator definately did not work. This is an expression for a text box, not VB. The current version: =DLookUp("[Charge]","Districts","[District]=" & [Forms]![CaseNumber Subform1]![DistrictTextBoxEnter])

Does not work either...still that "#Name?"

Time to surrender?

Wayne

Wayne,

This is one area that I will never figure out how it completely works. The reason I say this is because syntax complexities like this really take a vast amount knowledge about Access and VBA to figure out. The reason is because sometime you simply have to start guessing which one of the 20 different syntaxes will work. There's no rhyme or reason, but MS seriously needs to fix it.

If you want to upload your actual file, or a dummy file that shows the same issue and structure, I will change it immediately for you. Other than that, I'm going to bow out in helping here, simply because doing it for you will take all but 30 seconds to figure out. And if we keep talking about the possibilities and go through trial and error through this thread, it's going to take another 24 hours at the most the figure out where the bug is.

So upload your file, and I'll get it fixed for you, or someone else will if I'm not here, I'm sure.

If you can't do that, I apologize for bowing out.

This is where I would love to upload my objects, but I can't. I have saved the forms as objects with Access several times then search the computer for them all to no avail. Access does not give me a path choice when I save them. They are not in the directory I am working in. They are not in the default directory for Access. Thay are not on my hard drive. So I am at a loss...How do you save objects with Access?

Wayne

I think you may be a bit confused Wayne. Forms are IN Access. you need to upload the Access FILE as a whole. does that make sense?

forms are NOT their own applications

So there is no way to just send the forms I am working on and the related tables? I have to send the entire database? That seems unreasonable.

umm...Wayne - Access is a program, and like any other program the objects inside of it can't stand on their own legs.

so No, if you want me to help in this manner, I have to see the whole file. why not make a dummy file with fake data in it?? it shouldn't take but a few minutes.

Data is not the issue...just lots of experimental crap in there. I will attach it and hope you can sort through it.

I think I got it here.

You are looking for form: RcptDataTest2 and related tables: CaseNumber, Districts, RcptData, and RcptDataJunction.

Wayne

Wayne,

I wont be back to my machine until tomorrow afternoon, so if you havent got help til then, I'll get back to you at that time. thanks

Aj,

Any developements on this front?

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.