tat2z_21 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Personnel Roster with 4 sections

I am new to access, I have tried and tried, and never been successful. I am the proud owner of Access for dummies, and still can not get this. I am currently trying to develope a personnel roster that is broken into 4 seperate sections. Section 1 will have "x" amount of people, this will need to be catagorized by rank and paygrade. And the same for the rest of the sections. I would like this to have a search feature and the ability to add notes as required. I know that this is probably really simple, I can not figure this out. If there is anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Nobody out there with any guidance, I am sure with all of you out there on the site, someone has to know what I am talking about.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    tat,

the first thing you need to realize is the "flash" effect that Access gives when you're presenting your apparent skills to someone else. Is this roster of yours going to be presented to anyone else? As in, is anyone else going to see it but you?

If not, do it in Excel. I say this, simply because the people that claim "not to get it" with regard to the Access program sometimes beat themselves up over nothing when Excel is readily available to meet their needs, but they're simply obsessed with "upgrading" their data presentation, when in reality, the majority of times it's not even necessary.

Are you in this boat as well? If you are, I would recommend using Excel, especially if you already know it! It's MUCH more friendly than Access is. After all, when you open Excel you see something on the screen that unconciously tells you to type something in those pretty little cells. Open Access and you see a blank screen. So what is there to do? That's what people inevitably think.

My opinion and advice for you. Take it for what you willl...

Quote Originally Posted by tat2z_21 View Post
    Nobody out there with any guidance, I am sure with all of you out there on the site, someone has to know what I am talking about.
    And another thing, these comments will not get you very far. Please keep that in mind.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If you decide not to take Adam's advice and wish to pursue Access, here is a link to setting up for a relational database.

The approach outlines the steps involved.

http://www.databaseanswers.org/approach2db_design.htm

Windows XP Access 2007
    I am building this database as a tool that my entire command will be able to manage our people. II need to be able to track the duty section personnel and be able to update the status of the particular person. I od appreciate the response, but this will be a tool not only a database. I am rather good with excel, but it seems that everytime I create an excel spreadsheet someone else in the system decides to mess with the functions.

but it seems that everytime I create an excel spreadsheet someone else in the system decides to mess with the functions.
    that is simply a matter of locking the sheets and/or cells with a password. There really is no excuse for that. Please don't see that as a mean comment, but I'm serious. Excel offers resources to combat that kind of behavior. Use it.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    tat,
    And another thing, these comments will not get you very far. Please keep that in mind.
    I do appreciate your responses, I was not in any way trying to be rude, just trying to bump this to the top of the forum.

I do appreciate your responses, I was not in any way trying to be rude, just trying to bump this to the top of the forum.
    see here for additional advice on being the most productive person you can here by asking questions.

by the way, what happened with this issue? did you get it solved?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000

I would like to add a few comments, if I may.....

I am new to access, I have tried and tried, and never been successful. I am the proud owner of Access for dummies, and still can not get this. I am currently trying to develope a personnel roster that is broken into 4 seperate sections. Section 1 will have "x" amount of people, this will need to be catagorized by rank and paygrade. And the same for the rest of the sections. I would like this to have a search feature and the ability to add notes as required. I know that this is probably really simple, I can not figure this out. If there is anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.
    You have said what you are trying to do, but we (the forum) don't know what you are talking about. We are just being exposed to your idea and no one (that I know of) is a mind reader.

What is a "Section"? What data do you want to track? Do you want to track it by dates?

The people on this forum (and others) volunteer their time and knowledge. But you need to do your part.... you need to be more specific when asking for help. Create (on paper) the tables and fields, then ask for help.
    Examples: "Does this design look right?" "How do I connect these fields to be able to get the paygrade to display on the form?"

I know that this is probably really simple,
    Actually, it is not all that simple. To have a well designed database takes a lot of time and work. Any db that is more than 1 or 2 tables takes a while to get the structure (tables & relationships) correct. I use up lots of paper to layout the tables, fields and relationships. Then there are the queries, forms and reports......

I think the quote is "The devil is in the details"...

Don't give up......

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.