wthoffman is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

auto date

How do I take an auto date function and have it stay on the date when it is used in creating a report. As it stands now it updates to the current date.

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    when you use a wizard to create a report, it will has a current data/time on page footer.

or you can create a textbox and type "=now()" or "=date()" in the textbox.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    The date that shows in the report should remain constant and represent the date the report was generated.

Windows XP Access 2003
    what do you mean "the date the report was generated", do you mean the date when the report structure was created? or the date which the report is run?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    the date the report is run

Windows XP Access 2003
    the date the report is run is now()/date(), becuse you are running it when you see the report.

or I think you may want the date that the report is run for the first time? but the first of the report run is when you create the report.

or maybe you want the date that the report is run with new updated data, but we have no way to know when data is new updated, unless you save last_run_report and compare with current report by our eyes. A report doesn't know last_time_run_date either.

The only way to freeze the report is to export it to an snapshot file(image) or print it out.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wthoffman View Post
    the date the report is run
    wt,

this is impossible in many contexts, because one report is generally used for many users. does that make sense? hence, it wouldn't make any sense to change the date box in the footer when it is first generated via code because, assuming the report generation always matters, it would have to change every time it's opened, by any person.

but from what I gather you're saying, you want a record of the first time the report is run, right? Well, that's easy, but if that's all that is required, I must agree that it doesn't make much sense.

But if you want to, write code behind the open event of your report and check a field in a table somewhere called "firstrun" or something. If it's false, then no need to change the date box. If it's true, change the datebox and update field.

Why can't you do that?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.