rvangend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Form advice

Hello All,

I am busy putting together a database to track WIP. We have a system whereby a customer places an order for a product. The order may be for various products and various qty's. We then open a job card for each product and this job card will indicate the qty of that specific product. We then need to break this down further into what we call heat slips, because each product is treated in the manufacturing process as an individual entity. We do this becuase our customers require us to have a serial number for each product (which we call a heat number).

I would like to put togther a system whereby I can, on one form, select a customer from a combo box. once selected I would like to have a datasheet table (on the same form) that allows me to enter a new order and the relvant details specific to the order i.e. date, order number etc. When I select and order from this drid the process must repeat (again on the same form, but on a datasheet gride below the order grid that displays the job cards against that order or allows me to enter w new job card. Similarly I would like a third grid, below the job card grid showing all heat slips, or allows me to enter a new one.

Is this a feasible layout and approach or does anyone have a better suggestion. I think I have the table structure and relationships the way they need to be, but am battling to get the table layout the way I want it.

I am attachcing a PDF file with two pages to show the tables and relationships and a sketch of the form I have in mind.

If anyone can give me some advice or a good resource to help me find a solution to this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    Rob.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What you want to do is certainly possible as long as you don't run out of screen real estate. Just use 3 SubForms on your mainForm.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Rob,

I follow Allan. Your picture shows the form layouts. You should also have 3 tables, IMO, for this:

• customers
    • orders
    • heatslips

with one-to-many's set up with those tables, your main form can be automatically linked to the others. It would be slick if you got to that point.

rvangend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks guys, will give it a try. I seem to have stuggled in the past getting the various tables (grids on the form) to link, but I will give it a bash.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have used an invisible TextBox on the MainForm with a ControlSource that points to one of the SubForm keys as a LinkmasterField of another SubForm. Leave the TextBox visible until you get it working as you want.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.