shiphtfour is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Help making a form write to multiple tables

I was told that it is "best practice" to design individual form for each parent table. Is that how most forms for relational databases are made? It would seem that almost all forms for a relational database would be dealing with multiple tables. I'll give you an example of one of my forms and tell me what you think. This form is for inputting mating pairs in a laboratory that breeds mice. Here's what it looks like:

My table structure looks like this:

I need this form to pull the MouseID's from the eligible male and female mates that the user selects and write that they are mated in tblMiceRelations when he hits an "update records" button (still have to implement this). I guess this form is only inputting to one table, but I have another form for inputting offspring that has to first create new records in tblMice for each new offspring and then input in tblMiceRelations that these mice are related to their parents as offspring.Thanks for your help.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

shiphtfour is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions RuralGuy, but I already have my table structure setup (unless you see anything wrong with the way it is designed). What I am stuck on now, is making the forms for a relational structure. For this form, which is used for inputting mating pairs, I just need it to pull the two MouseIDs from the male and female mates the user selects and write that they are mated in the MiceRelations table. A different form however, used for inputting offspring, needs to create new records for the offsrping in the table that contains all the mice and also write that they are related to their parents as offspring in the MiceRelations table. This is my first attempt at designing a database, so I made these forms from scratch just designing the layout and the query that fills the listbox for selecting the male and female mates but now I have no idea how to make the form actually input or update any records.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.