cavancura is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Lightbulb Multiple language interfaces

I am building a database that will be used by people who speak exclusively one of several other languages than English.

I want to provide them an opening screen where they select their language, and then proceed to an interface in their language.

I am considering two options:
    1. Splitting the database, duplicating the forms, query and reports portion of the split, and directing each user to the copy which has been translated into their language when they select their language. To be clear, it seems I may be opening one database which will give the user an option to open one of many databases, which are each linked to the one database which includes the data tables.
    2. Programming the one database to select forms and reports that have been translated into their language.
    Are either of these ideas feasible?

I am not anticipating any need for email functionality or Access Services on Sharepoint servers, nor is there a need to work over a network (at this time).

In separate threads I will be asking for help with some other items (if I cannot find my help already addressed in this forum):

1. I would like the user to enter keywords and do global keyword searches that will search every record and every cell for the keywords in one particular table, and return (in a row selectable table) the results to browse, hopefully with the found term highlighted.
    2. I would like to have the user simply click a form button to have a selected row in a field list which has a CD image file identified, and have the operating system's software to burn that image to a CD in the cd writer.
    3. I would like the user to be able to also click a form button and send a .pdf file to print which are linked in a cell in a certain column from a user highlighted row in the search results.
    4. I would like to have the user be able to click a form button to open a cd image file to play automatically in full screen mode, selecting it to display on selectable displays #1 or 2 (a projector). Under this functionality, I would like the user to be able to select and make a list of multiple items to play sequentially, or via an onclick event so the user does not have to go through a new database search between presentations.
    5. I would like to have some users be limited in their permissions for certain capabilities (for instance, I might like to restrict most operators from being able to burn a CD or print a case label.) My idea is not for high security, but perhaps with a secret key code sequence or entering a certain number or so in a field -those who know to do it would give themselves more privileges. We would like to avoid using log-in and password protection.
    I am looking for discussion on these options or other ideas for implementation, and some direction on how this can be done. ( I have not yet delved into Visual Basic programming.)

Thank you very much!!!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    My first question would be, "how many languages are there?"
    If it's not too many, one thing you might consider, instead of having multiple DBs to link them to, would be to dynamically change the language on the forms. I assume all of these are done with labels. What you would do is store all the text for each language in a table. Table design would be as follows

tblTextLabels
    textID (primaryKey, also the name of the label)
    language1 (contents of the label in a language)
    language2 "
    language3 "
    etc

Now, on the main form when they check their language, it stores a global variable with a number, letter, name, whatever, to designate that language. Now, on every supsequent form that opens, on the form load, it runs a query (or a DLookup) to pull the proper language and fill the label with the proper contents.

Just a thought.

65fishnjin is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I have a very similar problem, except my solution will be used over a network. I have never used "global variable" though. Can you recommend any training resources for setting those up and having labels in a form that are based on fileds in a table depending on this variable?

Thanks

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Try this link.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.