Delta223 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Prohibiting access to parts of a database?

Hello,

I am new to Access (I have 2010). I am currently sharing my database by placing the database file into a dropbox folder (Dropbox createis a folder that is synced to multiple computers)

I would like to prohibit access to most of the tables/queries/forms in the database.

-Password protection would be a good option.

-Another solution is to setup my database to synchronize information from a smaller database without all the sensitive data (this is the one the employees would use)

Is there any easy way to do this?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    When an Access database is to be used by multiple users, the database is usually split into front and back ends (two actual database files). The back end which will hold only the tables would be placed on a server. The front end would then be distributed to all of the users. As the database designer, it is up to you to create the user interface. In Access, you would create the user interface via forms. The users would just use the forms to enter and view data, but they should not be allowed to modify the form design. There are some settings in Access that will allow you to hide the database window. I don't have Access 2010, so I'm not sure where those control options are located. In Access 2007, they are accessible thorough the windows button in the upper left corner. Another option is to make a run time version of the database.

You can design your forms (user interface) to restrict what users can do, so you not need a smaller database to which to synchronize, but just put restrictions based on the user who is logged into the database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.