Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eternalearth is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Wink Creating a search box in a form (Access 2003) HELP

Hello,
    I have created a compuer inventory database for my company, and I have several hundred records. I was wondering if there is anyway to create a search box on the form where the user can pick any field given to them from a combo box and they would type in a string and the form would filter all the records that are relevant to that search.

Here is a copy of the database (totally blank but you can fill in your own stuff.)
    searchdatabase.zip

Ideally, I would like the search box to be on the right side of the form, under where it says search.

I don't know much VBA code, so please be patient with me. I will do my best to work with you!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Review this for one method of filtering form http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

If you want one combobox to serve for search in any field, would require two unbound controls: Combobox to select the field and Textbox to enter the string. VBA could would construct the criteria string and set the form's filter property.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Would you be willing to show/tell me a step by step?

June7 is online now VIP
    For what - the one combobox idea?

1. Set the combobox RowSource and RowSourceType properties. If the list is exactly the field names, will be simpler.

2. Create textbox

3. Create a button to run the code, something like (assumes all fields are text type):
    Me.FilterOn = False
    Me.Filter = "[" & Me.comboboxname & "] = '" & Me.textboxname & "'"
    Me.FilterOn = True
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    The video is great, however it's not quite what I am looking for. For example, the user wants to find a specific computer. They would go to the combo box and select "Comp-(Name)" and in the search box they would type in the computer name and then they would click search and it would be filtered/found.

Windows XP Access 2003
    And some fields are numeric as well...

June7 is online now VIP
    Does complicate but can be done. Code from my project:
    Code:
    Private Sub FindRecords()
    Dim strsql As String
    Dim strField1 As String, strField2 As String, strFor1 As String, strFor2 As String
    Dim strField As String, strStart As String, strEnd As String
    With Me
    .grpFilter = Null
    .lbxQueries = Null
    strFor1 = Nz(.cbxFor1, "")
    strFor2 = Nz(.cbxFor2, "")
    strField1 = CustomQuerySettings(Nz(.cbxField1, ""))
    strField2 = CustomQuerySettings(Nz(.cbxField2, ""))
    strField = CustomQuerySettings(Nz(.cbxCategory, ""))
    If strField = "LabNum" Then
        strStart = "'" & Nz(.tbxStart, "") & "'"
        strEnd = "'" & Nz(.tbxEnd, "") & "'"
    Else
        strStart = "#" & Nz(.tbxStart, "") & "#"
        strEnd = "#" & Nz(.tbxEnd, "") & "#"
    End If
    strsql = IIf(IsNull(.cbxField1) Or (Not IsNull(.cbxField1) And IsNull(.cbxFor1)), "", strField1 & "='" & strFor1 & "'")
    strsql = strsql & IIf(IsNull(.cbxField2) Or (Not IsNull(.cbxField2) And IsNull(.cbxFor2)), "", IIf(strsql = "", "", " AND ") & strField2 & "='" & strFor2 & "'")
    strsql = strsql & IIf(IsNull(.cbxCategory) Or (Not IsNull(.cbxCategory) And (IsNull(.tbxStart) Or IsNull(.tbxEnd))), "", IIf(strsql = "", "", " AND ") & strField & " BETWEEN " & strStart & " AND " & strEnd)
    strsql = strsql & IIf(IsNull(.cbxTest), "", IIf(strsql = "", "", " AND ") & "TestNum='" & .cbxTest & "'")
    If strsql = "" Then
        MsgBox "Must select criteria!", vbOKOnly, "EntryError"
    ElseIf Not IsNull(.cbxTest) Then
        .ctrSampleList.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT Submit.*, TestNum, StateNum, ProjectName, ProgCode, LedgerCode, Colo, FedNum, Metric, Remark1, Remark2, Remark3, Remark4, Remark5, Remark6 " & _
        "FROM ((Submit LEFT JOIN Projects ON Submit.ProjRecID = Projects.ProjRecID) LEFT JOIN Remarks ON Submit.LabNum = Remarks.LabNum) " & _
        "LEFT JOIN Tests ON Submit.LabNum = Tests.LabNum " & _
        "ORDER BY Submit.LabNum DESC;"
    End If
    .ctrSampleList.Form.Filter = strsql
    .ctrSampleList.Form.FilterOn = True
    .tbxLABNUM.SetFocus
    End With
    End Sub
    My setup is to search for a specific text string and/or a range (lab number or date). If you want search on number fields as an option, the code will have to be structured to know 'the selected field is numeric so do search as number'. This could mean If Then Else or Select Case structures. I use combobox for selecting the search field and combobox for selecting the specific criteria. The criteria combobox RowSource is set by code in the field list combobox AfterUpdate event.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Does all this code apply strictly to the command button? AND how do I set up the combo box to only contain field names that will work with this code?

June7 is online now VIP
    I type a list in the combobox RowSource and set the RowSourceType property to ValueList.

The code I show is a sub that is called by the button Click event. Your code could be placed in the Click event.

Windows XP Access 2003
    But what list do I put in the combo box? Is it simply the field names I wish to have in my form?

June7 is online now VIP
    As stated in item 1 of post 4, that would be the simplest.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I will try this later tonight and get back to you! Thank you so far!

Windows XP Access 2003
    If I have multiple sources (mostly tables), for the Row Source, should I turn them into one Query so that it has all the options available?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Here is an example of a search form. You import the form into you project.
    You could modify it to look at a table of only the tables/fields you want to make available to search.

Attached is the zip. I found it at "The Access Web" link >> http://access.mvps.org/access/resources/downloads.htm

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Here is an example of a search form. You import the form into you project.
    You could modify it to look at a table of only the tables/fields you want to make available to search.

Attached is the zip. I found it at "The Access Web" link >> http://access.mvps.org/access/resources/downloads.htm

This worked amazingly well! All I had to do was drag and drop it into my database and it started working instantaneously!

I am curious about one thing though, is there any way to get the box that has the list of tables and queries to only have the tables and queries I want to have show up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.