tlkeller38 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Overlay query data on a preformatted form

I am in the military and have a "form" I would like to put query data on without having to recreate the form in Access 2010. I have thought about scanning the blank "form" and showing it as a background and formatting the report to put appropriate data in the appropriate blocks but was wondering if there are better suggestions.

Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I did this once because the 'form' had text formatting (superscript and subscript) couldn't be done in Access labels.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Clarification on terminology

June7...thanks for the reply. I think my terminology is clouding the issue.

I have a document (not to be confused with a data entry form as used in access). It's an AF Form 3899 "Patient Movement Record." You can probably google it to see what I'm talking about but it may come up in the IBM Lotus Forms viewer or PDF. Not sure. For clarity, from here on I'll reference this is "3899."

Data entry into the database is no problem. Each field in the database will correspond to one of the blocks in that 3899. Based on user input, a subset of records will be selected and a query will select those records the user wants to use.

Once that is done, I would like to be able to print the results of the query with each field ending up in the appropriate block back on the 3899. My end product will be a set of 3899s, say 10 of them, each printed with the data from a single record from the query. I'm trying to avoid having to recreate the 3899 in Access where the report from the query will be printed. Does that make sense?

Thanks a bunch.

TLK

June7 is online now VIP
    Depends what you mean by 'avoid having to recreate the 3899'. You still have to create a report with textboxes bound to RecordSource fields to display the data. The 3899 can be an image in the background and the textboxes are positioned over the corresponding 'blanks' of the 3899. That is what I did.

By a set of 10 3899's for one record, you mean 10 prints of the same report for one record? You can print as many copies of generated report as you want. My solution to this is to use code to open report then print out.

DoCmd.OpenReport "reportname", acViewPreview, , "fieldname=" & Me.recordID
    DoCmd.PrintOut , , , , 10
    DoCmd.Close acReport, "reportname", acSaveNo
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Next Questions

June, thanks again for your help.

Clarification....I will only want a single 3899 for each record but would want the capability to print several (or many) 3899s, with a single record per 3899. That is....if I select 10 records, that would kick out 10 different 3899s each with a different record's information on it. Did I just muddy the water?

I put a JPG image of the 3899 on the background and then started moving the text boxes from the report over the appropriate boxes on the image. Seems to be working alright. However ran into a couple of problems:

1) The boxes I have lined up in design view are no longer lined up when I go to Report View. The top couple inches of the 3899 are cut off in this view and the boxes I had lined up are too low and to the right. In Print preview, the 3899 image shows up beatifully but the text boxes I lined up are too low and to the right.

2) Information from the second and third selected record shows up further down. I want that to show on a second page on anotheer 3899. Any idea how to make that happen?

Thanks again.

TLK

June7 is online now VIP
    Okay, output of reports for desired records would require filtering the report's recordset.

As for the issues you are facing in placing the controls, don't know why that is happening. Do you want to provide the project for analysis? Make copy, remove confidential data, run Compact & Repair, zip if large, attach to post. Attachment Manager is below the Advance post editor.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.