BLD21 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 2K Access 2007

Text Formatting

access 2007,

I have a table where the dept name where the data type is set for TEXT with 255 in size. I am inputting a .csv file where it looks like the dept name data type may be a general number. Because when I use this field in my report I am seeing some records with for example 2.51E+11 instead of all numbers. I have expanded the field on the report as far as possible with no luck. In the file itself there are records with alpha characters and all numerics or a combination of both.

Is there anyway to make sure this converts to something other than the above example.

Thanks for any prompt replies.
    Bruce D.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    well you mention that you expanded the field on the report as far 'possible'......but was that far enough? not clear

while it is coming in from a csv - does it get imported into a table? ...that wasn't clear - - if so - - look directly at the table itself and see if you see the data.

it still may be just a matter of the size of the field in the report.

BLD21 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 2K Access 2007
    Thanks, but the field on the report is as wide as possible and it is getting inported into a table where the data type is TExt for 255 char.

I have found out that the file is being exported to me with the scientific numbers in the field. Is there any VBA that could convert these?

Thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    so the essential info is - what is in the table? that's what is there. eyeball it an see. if the importing info is greater than 255 character then it will truncate - but you will still see the actual data in the field....make sure you manually widen the columns as needed to view it all......

a field in a report is just a display vehicle - it can be expanded to display what is truly in the underlying table. it might screw up your layout to make it big enough - but it can. on the otherhand - if the data doesn't exist in the table - then it doesn't matter how big or small the field is. the symptom of your original post is that the display field is smaller than the data in the table. thus my original reply.

as to scientific number; it isn't a data format I've needed to work with so I don't have memory cells at my finger tips - - but look up table data formats and see. Your alternative is to implement a formula of some sort to redefine those values. It could be done in the excel sheet before import occurs. To do it in vb - then one returns to the key question of what is actually being imported - a real big integer? fraction? - not sure....but whatever it is then you could apply math to it via either vb or a calculated value in a query. but I don't really completely follow your post ...so the advice is generic.

Hope it helps a little.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What does your original data look like?

in your example you say you have something showing as 2.51E+11 which would be 251,000,000,000 (I think). If you are trying to import that into an integer field you're going to fail as integers can only go to around 32000. You can try importing it as a long integer or some other number format that's more forgiving.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.