Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Naming of error handling routine

I'm plowing through lots of sample code for ideas and best practices.

This is one that I have a question about, and I see something similar in a lot of examples:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    On Error GoTo Form_Open_Err
    formtran Me
    Form_Open_Exit:
       Exit Sub
    Form_Open_Err:
       MsgBox Err.Description & " in Form_Open"
       Resume Form_Open_Exit
    End Sub
    Notice the name for the error routine, "Form_Open_Err". Quite long and maybe meaningless.
    Either it was created automatically, or someone took a lot of time to name every error routine after the name of the procedure.
    I question if that is necessary. Would something more generic be less ideal?

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    On Error GoTo SubErr
    formtran Me

SubExit:
       Exit Sub
    SubErr:
       MsgBox Err.Description & " in Form_Open"
       Resume SubExit
    End Sub
    Is there a valid reason to NOT user the labels as I did in orange for all procedures in a module? (I think that's what they call subs and functions.)

Even more valuable, why not call another subroutine to handle all errors? That way one set of code could display the same 'ol message box and maybe even log the error programmatically (and we could eliminate all that duplicate code in every procedure). Since in a error subroutine, we wouldn't need the SubExit:, would we just do a "Resume" to get back to the calling procedure that had the error? How do we just exit the calling sub with the error (if we use the subroutine model) so more undesired code doesn't run? Is there a variable the error subroutine could use to know the calling sub that had the error?

Or, does every procedure need a a duplicated error and exit section , and if we want to use a different subroutine for the msgbox, just add that to the SubErr: code?

Since the sub is private and contained, I can't see any problem with the code getting confused by the same label names, and it takes less bytes, and maybe the compiled version is more efficient/smaller without all the different label names?

Am I missing something?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You can't stop code with called code - the upstream procedure (the parent in the call stack) must either run to completion or until it hits an exit line. Even if you cancel an event such as form opening by using its cancel property, it will continue to the End Sub line if not halted otherwise. As for a universal handler, not all errors are handled in the same way. Some require an exit, some a prompt, some resume after the handled error, some resume next after the handled error, and so on. About all you can do universally IMO is to invoke a standard message box or custom message form. Re the name - converting macros to code is often responsible for such verbiage. I simply write

Code:
    On Error GoTo errHandler
     more code

exitHere:
    clean up
    Exit Sub

errHandler:
    IF's or SELECT CASE block might be here, or maybe just
    Msgbox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
    Resume exitHere
    AFAIC, any time you set object variables or mess with application settings you must have an error handler to ensure settings are restored and objects are terminated. I doubt that opinion is shared by everyone though. Not sure if I addressed all your points.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Still more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    You can't stop code with called code .... As for a universal handler, not all errors are handled in the same way. Some require an exit, some a prompt, some resume after the handled error, some resume next after the handled error, and so on.

AFAIC, any time you set object variables or mess with application settings you must have an error handler to ensure settings are restored and objects are terminated. I doubt that opinion is shared by everyone though. Not sure if I addressed all your points.
    Got it, now I imagine there are a fairly common set of errors that that can be trapped. Things like drive not ready, network down, etc.
    I don't see anything that allows for Call routine (GoSub{or Call} not GoTo) (but I will have to try it I suppose and see if it works). Then if the error isn't handled in any of the standard ways , the called subroutine could pass back a variable indicating failure (or success if it was handled okay). Still, there remains the problem of getting your code to continue where you want without resorting to a lot of Goto(s).

Does this make sense in VBA?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Even more valuable, why not call another subroutine to handle all errors?
    commonly done for unhandled errors.

Code:
    function unhandled(errcode as long, errdesc as string, subfunc as string) as boolean

msgbox "there is an unhandled error in " & subfunc & vbcrlf & errcode & ":- " & errdesc
        unhandled=true 'you might want to do more which results in a false

end if

and called from code

Code:
    errHandler:
       select case err
         case 123:
           'do something
         case 345:
           'do something else
         case else
            unhandled err, err.description,"name of sub or function"
        end select

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
    That makes a lot of sense.

When I started with a Business BASIC forty years ago, I got a lot of run-time errors. There wasn't an error trap within that BASIC, you just fell into a runtime debugger and could fix a variable (not code, because it had to be compiled) continue running or just kill the process (and be diligent in the implication to data). And then go fix the code so the error wouldn't happen again. After the first year of shaking out a big application, it could run (as of now, thirty) for years without ever seeing a run-time error again. I suppose it's different with PCs (compared to a mini/mainframe). I'm curious, in reality how often do you as a developer see errors after testing? How often do users report "strange" errors to you? I have no clue being new (again) to VBA and Access.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post

function unhandled(errcode as long, errdesc as string, subfunc as string) as boolean

Code:
    errHandler:
       select case err
         case 123:
           'do something
         case 345:
           'do something else
         case else
            unhandled err, err.description,"name of sub or function"
        end select
    Are there some system variables that we can pass to unhandled that has the procedure name and line number (I know there aren't explicit line numbers) for showing and logging where the error occurred? That way we don't have to hard code it and the detail is more helpful in knowing exactly where the error was.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    THat question has been asked before. It involves interrogating the stack. Can’t remember what the conclusion was but since I haven’t adopted it, pretty sure it was more trouble than it was worth. Try Googling something like ‘vba get sub name from stack’ or similar.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't see anything that allows for Call routine
    Not sure what you mean by that. Call is a key word that will direct flow to another procedure and is required in some cases but most often, simply typing the name of the called procedure is enough to run it. I'd say it's generally considered bad form to use GoTo to direct flow based on variable values or other conditions/properties such as

If strIn = strOut Then GoTo lineLabel1
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I'd say it's generally considered bad form to use GoTo to direct flow
    totally agree. Call is a throwback to the old basic syntax and although some still use it, it has no benefit that I am aware of.

Windows 10 Access 2016

That was my point

Not sure what you mean by that. Call is a key word that will direct flow to another procedure and is required in some cases but most often, simply typing the name of the called procedure is enough to run it. I'd say it's generally considered bad form to use GoTo to direct flow based on variable values or other conditions/properties such as

If strIn = strOut Then GoTo lineLabel1
    Well, it seems MS wants to use Goto, at least in their error handling. When I said call, it was meant generically to mean instead of
    On Error GoTo label:
    we could use
    On error GoSub (or Call) procedure

MS VBA and other "structured languages" can use fancy terms like Exit, Resume, Resume Next and Resume line, but they are also just GoTo in disguise when you get to the bottom of the issue.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by twgonder View Post
    Are there some system variables that we can pass to unhandled that has the procedure name and line number (I know there aren't explicit line numbers) for showing and logging where the error occurred? That way we don't have to hard code it and the detail is more helpful in knowing exactly where the error was.

It would indeed be a very useful feature and is one that I spent a lot of time looking into over the years.
    Some years ago, I came up with a solution for this involving the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3 library and used it in one of my commercial apps as part of an error logging feature.

This was the code I used:

Code:
    Private Sub YourEventName()

On Error GoTo Err_Handler

...code here

Exit_Handler:
        Exit Sub

Err_Handler:
        strProc = Application.VBE.ActiveCodePane.CodeModule.ProcOfLine(Application.VBE.ActiveCodePane.TopLine, 0)
        MsgBox "Error " & Err & " in line " & erl & " of procedure " & strProc & " :  " & vbCrLf & Err.Description
        Resume Exit_Handler

End Sub
    Although it often works, it isn't anything like 100% reliable and I (like most other developers) have decided that it just isn't possible to do using VBA

FWIW:
    1. I use generic error handling in all procedures including entering the procedure name
    2. Using line numbering as part of error handling (courtesy of MZ Tools0 is very useful when fixing complex issues with code errors
    3. I NEVER use Call in my code
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 11 Access 2019
    Here's my 2 cents worth:

Call Fixup(nKey)
    is exactly the same functionality as
    Fixup nkey
    Both of these have implicit Returns to the following line of code

GoSub AddAll
    is not a call to a procedure, it is an execution transfer to a line label (ending with a colon such as Addall: in this case) in the same procedure
    Gosubs require an explicit Return command in their execution path that will return execution to the line after the Gosub

GoTo Skipit transters execution to a line label (Skipit: ) in the current procedure and does not require a Return

Note that Gosub and Goto must always be embedded in the current procedure. They can direct execution to code before or after themselves in the procedure.

I like to use Call because I can instantly determine the purpose of that line of code.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    On error GoSub (or Call) procedure
    not tested to see if that might work but that presumes you have one basic routine to handle all errors - and in real life that is just not the case, as already stated, fine for all unhandled errors - basically ones you as a developer have not anticipated, but sometimes you need them handling - anything from adding a record or instantiating a variable to correcting a spelling. Some you can handle in code 'if s=""' some you can by resuming and correcting after the error, some you cannot avoid generating an error - for example a common one for me is parent - if parent exists then 'me' is in a subform control. Alternative would be to scan through all open forms, and scan through their controls looking for subforms, then check the subform control for the name of the form to see if it matches. Which is OK until you have two subform controls using the same form.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Call Fixup(nKey)
    is exactly the same functionality as
    Fixup nkey
    Maybe. Maybe not. Documentation states that the return value of a function is discarded if you use the Call statement. I don't know how you'd use the Call statement in a way that you'd expect to handle the return value of a function that was called - mainly because I never use Call, I guess. Call seems like an outdated statement to me.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 11 Access 2019
    Maybe. Maybe not. Documentation states that the return value of a function is discarded if you use the Call statement. I don't know how you'd use the Call statement in a way that you'd expect to handle the return value of a function that was called - mainly because I never use Call, I guess. Call seems like an outdated statement to me.
    Either way the return is discarded, because a function called that way is treated like a sub, which has no return value.
    If you want to use a function's return value you do like this:

Rslt = fcnGetIt
    or
    If fcnGetIt = "OK" then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.