Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cheyanne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi

I did not reply to your last post as I thought you had reached the end of your tether.
    I am truly grateful for the time and patience you have showed. As you suggested I wrote
    to Bob and am awaiting his reply.

I have used the code you suggested and put it on the BeforeUpdate event of lstTimes.

Unfortunately when I ran it an error message occured saying there was a syntax error (see screenshot)

I can confirm that the bound field is field 1 which is AppointmentTimeID. I trust I got the right field and Event!

Regards

Cheyanne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error.jpg  

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I copied the code to Word and then posted it. In doing so, some of the double quote marks changed & VBA does not recognize those quotes. I reworked the code in VBA, so this should not give you the syntax error

If DCount("*", "tblAppointments", "AppointmentDate=#" & Me.AppointmentDate & "# AND ApptTimeID=" & Me.lstTimes) > 0 Then

By the way, I do not think the Before Update event of the list box is the appropriate event since you have to select the specific time in order for the DCount() to have something to evaluate. I would guess it would be the After Update event of the list box, but I'll that for you to try out.

Hi

Thanks again. I read your last post and wondered why I had not just had the tblAppointments, rather than two. Much simpler!

I have now done so and made just one table and included a field AppointmentTime which is a Date/Time field formatted to short time.

The control source for lstTimes is AppointmentTime and its row source is a list of times "09.30;09.45;10.00;10.15;10.30;10.45;11.00;11.15;1 1.30;11.45;12.00; etc"

I have put this line of code on the AfterUpdate event of lstTimes - thought I had made the changes you suggested

If DCount("*", "tblAppointments", "AppointmentDate=#” & Me.AppointmentDate & “# AND AppointmentTime=#” & Me.lstTimes) >0 THEN

and still get an error.

Hopefully we are getting near a solution. I did notice that on this system when you change records there is no indication of what time has
    been booked. Somehow I need to have a text field that shows this, otherwise users will not be able to check which appointment has been given to whom.
    They will only see the form. Any ideas?

Regards

Cheyanne

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Thanks again. I read your last post and wondered why I had not just had the tblAppointments, rather than two. Much simpler!
    You still need both tblAppointments and tblAppointmentTimes, I did not say to get rid of any tables. It sounds like there was a misunderstanding.

The list box should still use tblAppointmentTimes. The form still needs to be bound to tblAppointments.

I would suggest you type the code directly rather than copying and pasting because of the issue I had mentioned with the double quotes (something with the font changes that VBA does not recognize)

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Cheyanne and jzwp11
    Do you still want me to look closer into the suggestion I made earlier? I'm happy to do that if it would help.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Sure Bob, any help would be appreciated.

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK. Iwill review the thread and see if I can come up with something.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Hi Bob

As our fellow contributor says - All help is appreciated.

I am really starting to get frustrated as when I "repair" one error I ger another.

I shall look forward to your constructive comments arriving in due course

Regards

Cheyanne

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    In the stripped down version of the database with only the appointment form and dummy data, I think I got Bob's code working.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows XP Access 2003
    This is the code I've used:
    Code:
    Private Sub cmbTimes_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
      If Not IsNull(DLookup("AppointmentRef", "tblAppointments", "AppointmentDate = #" & _
          Format(Me.AppointmentDate, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# And fkApptTimeID = " & Me.ActiveControl & _
          " AND AppointmentRef <> " & Me.AppointmentRef)) Then
        Cancel = True
        Me.ActiveControl.Undo
        MsgBox "The " & Me.ActiveControl.Column(1) & " appointment is already booked"
      End If
    End Sub
    The attached db has an example
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Hi to you both

This is an example of why I am getting frustrated.

I re-designed tblAppointmentTimes (having erroneously deleted it) and now get the error message shown in the screenshot.

I simply cannot understand what it means as regards its relevance.

tblAppointmentTimes has only two fields

AppointmentTimeID which is the Primary Key - set to LongInteger and AutoNumber

AppointmentTime (which holds the values of the time slots e.g. 09,30,09.45, 10.00 etc - each slot has a corresponding numerical value i.e. 1= 09.30, 2 = 09.45 etc)
    is a Date/Time field formatted to Short Date.

A relationship exists between tblAppointments.AppointmentTimeID and tblAppointmentTime.AppointmentTimeID (one to many) This is the first time I have had this error
    and I wish I knew why so that I could fix it.

Any ideas guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error.JPG  

Windows XP Access 2003
    jzwp11

Made my last post before I noticed that you'd already got there. Could you post it in mdb format so that I can take a look at. I suspect your coding may be better than mine and I'm always ready to learn from something better.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Bob,

My code was pretty simple; it is as follows

Code:
    Private Sub lstTimes_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If DCount("*", "tblAppointments", "AppointmentDate=#" & Me.AppointmentDate & "# AND ApptTimeID=" & Me.lstTimes) > 0 Then
        MsgBox "The appointment time for the indicated date has already been reserved"
        Cancel = True
    End If
    End Sub
    I've also attached the example database in an Access 2000 format.

cheyanne,

You will have to make sure the field names of the new tblAppointments match what is in the DCount() statement. Also, did you remove my code in the after update event of the date textbox control?

Windows XP Access 2003
    jzwp11

Thanks for attaching the db. Unfortunately, the form has elements that A2003 does not recognise so I am unable to open it as it should be. Anyway, I just wondered if there would any benefit in using DCount instead of DLookup. I seem to remember reading somewhere that DCount was much faster than DLookup.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Bob, from what I have heard the domain aggregate functions overall are slower than a query or a recordset; I have not heard whether there is a difference between DLookup() and DCount() with respect to performance. I've attached the db in 2003 format. Sometimes going from 2007/2010 back to an earlier version can be problematic, so hopefully you will be able to open the form. The form defaults to datasheet view; I have been working with it in Form View.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.