TylerZ07 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Help with creating a Report..

Hey everyone,

I need to enerate an Access report which shows all the records and all the fields below. The report should be grouped by each volunteer. So, essentially it will look a bit like each individual tabs of the spreadsheet.

1. Data filled in from the excel spreadsheet.
    a. Data comes from each individual tab. You will have to process all individual tabs to get the points.
    b. For example, from Harmon, Mike’s tab one of the many records get is:
    last-name: Harmon
    first-name: Mike
    date:2/16/07
    hours: 10
    number of calls:
    effort-type:Stand-by Crews
    event-name: Big Game Show
    class-name:
    committee-name:
    month:
    recruit-name:
    office-held:
    start-date

So how would i go about generating this, than importing an excel file that contains all the data?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Not really a fair question. The scope is way too broad. You are almost asking for a mini application. How about breaking the problem down into pieces and then asking us specific questions about one of the pieces when you get stuck?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I'd say the first thing you want to do is the following:

FIRST: Build a table with fields for all the data you have in Excel and then import your Excel data into the table. If your Excel data is already sorted into a table format, you can simply do this by creating a "New Table" using the "Import Wizard" and just pointing it to the Excel spreadsheet.

SECOND: After that, if you're worried about being able to add/delete people from your data, you'll probably want to recreate your Excel Form as an Access Form. Without seeing your Excel Form's setup, I can't give you a quickie answer to this step, but Forms are pretty simple so you should be able to figure it out.

THIRD: Then you can get started building your Report. Just make a Query to find all the data you're looking for and build a Report using the "Report Wizard" based on that Query.

FOURTH: If you need to be able to look at specific data (say a certain person or a list of people in a specific effort-type), then you'll want another Form that you can use to filter your Query with.

Sorry for being so broad with my answers, but your question was rather broad itself. If you have any questions about the steps above, feel free to post more specific questions in the appropriate forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.